Re: more 2020 birding accomplishments, and important "thank you's"

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
I'd like to echo Paul's email congratulating Nancy on her record setting year, and the other acknowledgements and thank you's he mentioned. A very impressive birding community we have here in San Diego County, and I am thankful for that.

I'd also like to take the time to thank Paul Lehman. To keep it simple and to the point, he is literally out daily, grinding away birding what seems every nook and cranny, and sharing his findings with us all in a timely manner. Not only does he find a ridiculous amount of birds for us to enjoy (every year, all of the time!), He also takes the time to help with problematic bird identifications and assist with much more. So a big thanks to Paul. All of your time and dedication is truly appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 2:01 PM lehman.paul@... via groups.io <lehman.paul=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I'd like to add my congratulations to Nancy C. for her record-breaking
county year list in 2020. Takes time, dedication, determination, and not
only enjoying the highs but also weathering the lows, ....as well as a
bit of luck.

I'd like to get away just a bit from the perennial eBird Top 100 lists
for a moment and give another round of 2020 acknowledgments, as well as
a big "thank you."

For the thank you, many of us who chase rare birds do so with the
information provided on the county listserve and text messaging service.
And many of us also get much of our information about what birds are
where--and typically fairly promptly--via eBird rare bird alerts and
other related eBird sites. These sources would either not be available
or be (even) less trustworthy if it were not for the time and dedication
put in by the moderators and volunteer reviewers. This is no small task!
Reviewing the volumes of eBird data generated in the county takes a LOT
of time, especially by our reviewers who are determined to do a good,
thorough job. So, thank you to all of them, with a special thanks to
Justyn Stahl, who is a major force in ALL these county-wide endeavors.

And for additional listing acknowledgments in 2020, please give a round
of applause to our dedicated "5MR" birders. All 5MR birding areas, even
those in well-birded sections along and near the coast, require the
local birder to truly pound the pavement and make their own discoveries.
Stakeouts found by other birders get you only so far if you are trying
for a good 5MR list total! And that local exploration regularly
discovers new birding hot-spots, many in areas where you might least
expect them to be (e.g., inland), which then all the rest of us profit
from! In 2020, high coastal 5MR totals ("countable" species only)
included those by Jay Desgrosellier (267), Dan King (254), and John
Bruin (224); whereas a couple landlocked, inland totals were as or even
more impressive, including those by Eitan Altman (213) and Kathryn
Wendel (210).

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

P.S. Some minor miscellanea: On 31 Dec, a new Nashville Warbler in the
Stonecrest area near Aero Drive brings the month's total of Nashvilles
in the county to a very lofty 16 birds (ties the all-time record of 16
that was set over an ENTIRE winter in 2017-2018); and a "Slate-colored"
Junco continues near Montgomery Field.

--
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran,