Re: Encinitas Community Park R-t Pipit & Vermilion Flycatchers (10/29/20)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
I returned yesterday afternoon at approximately 4:30 to look for the Red-throated Pipit I heard. When I arrived, soccer practices and a variety of exercise groups had taken over most of the open grass areas, and it had gotten extremely busy since I initially left.  I didn't stay long since it appeared the birds had flushed and gone elsewhere.

I returned today (10/30) at approximately 1:30 to find 50-ish American Pipits present, but no Red-throated Pipit with them. While my pipit count was up from yesterday, it looks like I only found a portion of the flock that is actually present. I noticed Alison Davies birded the park today and saw 100+ pipits, but also had no luck.

The park is definitely worth keeping on your radar if passing through the area this Fall. I imagine weekends are very busy there at all hours, but it seems weekdays are pretty quiet and good for birding the grass until about 3:00?

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM Jimmy McMorran via groups.io <Bigshell53=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had not been to this park birding in over week. I was there this afternoon with kid about 2:15-3:00 so she could get out of house and I did not have my bins or camera. The pipit flock has apparently grown from approximately 6-10 birds to roughly 25 or so today. While I never definitively layed eyes on the bird to ID it, there is clearly a vocalizing RTPI with one of the groups of AMPI when they fly. I was unable to track it down. Going back with gear in a few minutes to see if I can refind and document.

Two VEFL are newly arrived, one nearing adult male and another imm/female. Both I was able to get ID shots with my phone.

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

--