Re: Lindo Lakes construction project.

phil Pryde

Hi all,
     This is the first I’ve heard of this.  I use this lake (both parts) frequently for all kinds of purposes, including both citizen science and charitable fund-raising events.

     Several comments and questions come immediately to mind:

   1.  Did anyone ever see a DEIR on this project?  I didn’t.  Was either SDAS or SDFO included in the DEIR mailing list?
   2.  Terry’s email said the East basin would have a cement bottom - won’t this eliminate aquatic plants, and thus all dabbling ducks?  Only a few species of ducks (mostly human-fed) make use of the west basin.
   3.  If it becomes a “fishing lake”, will boats be allowed, or will fishing have to be done from shore, as in the west basin?
   4.  At least one watch-list species (Tricolored Blackbird) makes frequent use of this area;  was this considered?
   5.  How will the east basin be kept full of water in the summer?  If they are going to manage the water level in the east basin by importing water, from where will it be obtained, and  are they going to manage a mud shoreline around it for shorebirds?
   6.  We have a lot of excellent birders in SDFO, some of whom are consultants.  Was any member of SDFO consulted about the needs, and importance, of birdlife in the County Park as part of the environmental review?

    I’m sure others could add numerous other questions to this list.  To me, it sounds like the beginning of the end of Lindo Lake as we have known it as one of the top birding sites in San Diego County.

Phil Pryde

On Oct 28, 2020, at 12:07 PM, dan jehl <jehlyfish@...> wrote:

As long as the “improvements” don’t hurt the seasonal shorebird habitat, we don’t have enough of that as it is. Fingers crossed.

Dan Jehl

On Oct 28, 2020, at 12:02 PM, Susie Amundson <susieamund@...> wrote:

From the SD County parks website ....

Lindo Lake Improvements (Phase 1, East Basin):

Lindo Lake in Lakeside, is the only natural lake in the County of San Diego and was originally fed by Quail Creek. In the 1960’s a dam was constructed on Quail Creek upstream of Lindo Lake which severed natural water flow into the lake. Stormwater and urban runoff from the hillsides surrounding Lindo Lake became its primary source of water and water quality has deteriorated over the years.

The Lindo Lake Improvements project will improve the lake by removing years of sediment, increasing the lake depth, restoring the surrounding habitat. The project will also construct improved trails, birdwatching stations and fishing piers.

Lake restoration will be completed in two phases: Phase 1 will restore the east basin and Phase 2 will restore the west basin of Lindo Lake. Phase 1/east basin work will begin construction in winter 2019-2020 and be completed in summer 2021. Phase I is funded at a total project cost of $7,525,000.

For more information, contact Park Project Manager Ieszic Formeller at 858-966-1309 or by e-mail at Ieszic.Formeller@....

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 8:24 AM terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi everyone,

My apologies in advanced if everyone is already aware of this but the entire East Basin at Lindo Lakes which includes the seasonal lake as well as the grassing areas are now off limits. Sign says phase one to be completed in spring of 2021. I talked with one gentleman although he was not a park ranger that they were digging to make it deeper, pour cement in the bottom and  make it into a fishing lake.
It will be interesting to see how this impacts the winter ducks since they seem to favor this lake when it does have water. I did find one American Wigeon this morning.

Terry Hurst
Santee