Broad-billed Hummingbird in Poway

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

Mary Alice Kessler of the museum’s botany department and her daughter Laura Shanley photographed a Broad-billed Hummingbird in Laura’s yard in northeastern Poway today. Laura is willing to have birders visit to look for it: the address is 17621 Boca Raton Lane, coordinates 33.031° N, 117.030° W. The bird may be visible from the sidewalk or driveway. I’ve given Laura the link to the California Bird Records Committee’s online form for making the report and uploading her photos, which Mary Alice shared with me. Thanks to Mary Alice for alerting me right away.

I prepared David Trissel’s specimen of the Yellow-billed Cuckoo for the museum’s research collection last Monday, catalog number SDNHM 56596. It was an adult female and very fat—ready for a flight to South America if it hadn’t come to grief. It obviously struck a window or other object because there was substantial subcutaneous bleeding in the head. It may have had another mishap several days earlier, since the feathers were just beginning to regrow in a bare patch on the side of the neck. Thanks to David for getting me this remarkable specimen so quickly.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt