La Jolla Cove, Sep 30

Stan Walens

Spent 90 minutes at the Cove this morning with Tom Simpson
It was relatively quiet, with balmy zephyrs from the SSE pushing the birds way offshore for the most part.
By 9:15, the heat and the haze and a dire need for coffee, and another post-debate valium, sent us home.

About 50 black-vented shearwaters
1–2 parasitic jaegers
4 red phalaropes
1 fly-by black oystercatcher
FOS ring-billed gull, adult
2 juvenile Sabine’s gulls [since, if I have this correct, male and female Sabine’s gulls sexually separate to different wintering grounds, with females in the Pacific Ocean and males in the Atlantic, I assume these birds were likely females, but that’s just a surmise]

a few days ago, I saw a basic-plumaged common loon flying north; I think Paul L. reported one a few days earlier than that

Stan Walens, San Diego
Sept 30, 2020; 10:05 a.m.