Zone-tailed Hawk in La Mesa

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

Earlier today I got a message from Brenda Neill of La Mesa, asking me to confirm the identification of a Zone-tailed Hawk that came to her backyard fountain along Eastridge Drive on 7 September. She sent me two video clips that showed the bird was an immature (and so different from the adult seen around Iron Mountain, Mussey Grade, and San Vicente Reservoir in the past month). She said she had seen the bird on one additional day a few days earlier.

The frequency of this species in San Diego County seems to be creeping up gradually, no?

Good birding,

Philip Unitt