Afternoon Whale Watching Boat (6/16/20)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
I made a last minute decision to get on the afternoon whale watching boat "Privateer" out of Mission Bay, today (6/16/20). It was a little bumpy and breezy out there, but very nice to be on the ocean again.

Given the circumstances we all are in with COVID-19, the crew did an amazing job keeping folks at safe distances from others when possible, ensured masks were worn by all, and sanitized high-touch areas (railings, etc.) multiple times throughout the trip.

During the 3 hours at sea, species of interest were:

Least Tern - 8
Elegant Tern -  (Numerous)
Ashy Storm-Petrel - 3
Black Storm-Petrel - 20
Northern Fulmar - 1 (dark brown or gray individual; lighting and distance were an issue for this unseasonal observation)
Pink-footed Shearwater - 1
Sooty Shearwater - 2
Black-vented Shearwater - 70
Common Dolphin - 30-ish