Re: San Diego Zoo Safari Park – Wood Stork continues, 14 May 2020

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
Four of us (Trysten and Aedyn L. and Derek H)observed the continuing Wood Stork this morning beginning around 6:45-6:53. It was not where it was photo’d last night by Gary Nunn. It was on the shoreline foraging along the waters edge. From the lookout it was In the far pond directly below the white trailer on the hill.
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

On May 14, 2020, at 9:57 PM, Gary Nunn <garybnunn@...> wrote:

The WOOD STORK continued this evening seen just a few minutes after the sun went down over the hills west of the park.  I had waited a long time at the San Pasqual Battlefield Hill spot looking and looking without luck.  Hoping it might appear on a tree top at dusk I decided to wait it out and sure enough at 7:37 PM it suddenly appeared at the top of a small tree down in the wooded area of small lakes.  It proceeded to flap its wings and arch them up, with head down, on the tree top.  Also picked up a small branch and juggled that around for a few minutes, sort of playing with it.  Huge white bodied bird with black flight feathers and dusky head and thick decurved bill.

I snapped a few documentation photos, horrible really, mainly to point out which tree it can be seen standing on.

Good luck in the morning!

Photos here  https://ebird.org/checklist/S69068447

--
Gary Nunn