migrant Northern Waterthrush

lehman.paul@verizon.net

There was a migrant Northern Waterthrush this morning, May 1st, in the line of willows on the west side of the Tijuana estuary visitor center property in Imperial Beach. It was 1 of a whopping total of 3 migrants I saw in the TRV area today..... Also 1 continuing Cattle Egret (now quite rare along the coast) at the Sunset ballfields. Still 410 Red Knots at the saltworks, many looking quite spiffy right now.

Alex A.'s Red-eyed Vireo this morning must certainly be the earliest-ever documented record for the state. The next earliest record for San Diego is 14 May (2009), and this species normally isn't seen until late May and June. Clearly there were more migrants today in the Point Loma area than in the South Bay, but when I arrived at the former later in the morning, many of them had evaporated. My best bird there was only an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego