Reminder for our SDFO meeting, tomorrow night, 18 Feb

Barbara

Tuesday, February 18, at 6:00 p.m. CONTINUING NEW MEETING LOCATION!

SDFO can no longer meet at the San Diego Foundation Building in Liberty Station. For February we will be meeting again at the Pacific Beach/Taylor Library Community Room, 4275 Cass St., San Diego.

Directions: From I-5 south or north, take the Balboa/Garnet exit. Follow Garnet until it turns into Grand Ave. Turn left on Dawes St., then right onto Thomas Ave. From I-8 west, take the W. Mission Bay Dr. off ramp. Continue north onto Ingraham St. Turn left on Reed Ave. Parking is either on Thomas Ave. or Reed Ave.

Program: “The Restoration of Lake Apopka and surrounding North Shore Wetlands,” by David Walker. The restored wetlands around the north shore of Lake Apopka are now listed as the number 1 birding hotspot by eBird in the state of Florida (353 species). Just over 20 years ago, this area was intensively farmed agricultural land. This talk covers the restoration of Lake Apopka, remediation of pesticide contaminated soils, wetland restoration efforts, recreational opportunities and the beginning of the North Shore Birding Festival by the Orange County Audubon Society (January 16-20, 2020). All located just northwest of Orlando, FL.

Next month’s meeting: Tuesday, March 17, at 6:00 p.m., at the Mission Valley Public Library Community Room, 2123 Fenton Parkway, San Diego. Rick Halsey will present “Understanding the environment and rediscovering ourselves in the Chaparral.”

Time to Pay SDFO Dues for 2020: If you haven’t yet renewed your membership in SDFO, see  me, the membership chair, at this meeting, or put a check in the mail. My contact information is on the last page of this newsletter.

Hope to see you there,

Barbara Carlson

SDFO Membership