the "other" Northern Parula (Agua Hedionda)

lehman.paul@verizon.net

On Thursday morning, Dec 5, I checked out the reported Northern Parula, first found by Andy Brumbaugh a few days ago and more recently photo'd by BJ Dooley, that is on the immediate north side of Agua Hedionda Lagoon in Carlsbad. Inland side of I-5. Go to the end of Bayshore Drive. Andy reported the bird in low brush/scrub, which is atypical habitat for this species, although I had the bird briefly in a low bush.. By the looks of BJ's photos, I'd guess that he saw it in the line of sycamores and cottonwoods that run to the left (east) of the end of the road. But I had the bird from 7:30-8:15 AM in the several melolucas that are immediately to the right (west) of the dead end. The bird appears to be either an immature male or an adult female, with a touch of the chestnut-rusty breast-band that is small, a bit dull, and only in the middle of the breast. Elsewhere in residential Carlsbad there was a Yellow Warbler.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego