Massive Bonaparte's Gull Flock Offshore Encinitas (11/27/19)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
After looking over checklists from the La Jolla Seawatch today (11/27/19), I was surprised to see the exact opposite numbers of Bonaparte's GullĀ  from what I observed up here seawatching in Enicinitas, and why I'm posting. There was a massive group from a 1/4-1/2 mile stretch that I could see that was pushing 1500-2000 birds. It was quite a sight.

Maybe they didn't make their way down the coast or simply headed further out to sea. Otherwise it was slow with only a few loons and scoters. My brief seawatch was from about 0900 - 1030.

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

--