Re: Mountain report, including Lawrence's goldfinches

terry hurst

Hello all,
Just a quick note on the impact of the storm on the birds. No activity at the water trough today. May have been because it was very windy in that area. Crossbills, Grosbeaks still in the general area on the trail that leads to the water trough. Not as windy in the wooded trail.  Please see previous postings for directions.

Sunday looks to be the best day to head up there, sunny, light winds and warmer. Perhaps the birds will visit the water trough. I intend to check it out.

Terry Hurst
Santee

On Nov 19, 2019, at 9:12 AM, lehman.paul@... via Groups.Io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:

´╗┐

Tuesday morning, Barbara Carlson and I did the pilgrimage to sunrise highway Mile 19 to see the show at the water trough and had 25 evening grosbeaks and 30 red Crossbills and four cassins and one purple finch and pine siskin and gray headed junco. It will be interesting to see if the forecast rain event tonight and tomorrow changes the dynamics of the whole situation there or not. On our way home we stopped in Pine Valley and had a flock of 40 pine siskins, which is certainly the largest flock I've ever seen in San Diego County, and in Pine Valley County Park there are at least 15 Lawrence's Goldfinches hanging around.

Paul Lehman, San Diego (and a true vagrant to the mountains)

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail