Re: Inca Dove in Coronado, and other birds

Justyn Stahl

Thanks to Paul for a few corrections: the Tropical Kingbird spot along Coronado Ave is further south, closer to Acacia Way, where you can see the tall golf ball-proof netting high over the houses - this would explain why I've not seen it in the section of the naval base I check. The end of 8th allows you to see the trees, however, where various other goodies have shown up over the years, and where the Inca Dove was, at least this morning. Also, my reference to the Cassin's Sparrow should have been TWO years ago (late October 2017), not last year. How the time flies.

And just to reiterate, please act respectful and keep a low profile when birding residential areas and parks near houses. As has been seen recently at Wing St. canyon and a few other spots over the years, some home owners take issue with people looking towards or over their houses, large groups of people standing in the street or sidewalk, and can be suspicious of photography. All of that can and has caused problems for access or just general enjoyment by folks who have have otherwise birded these areas without issue for years. Engage dog walkers and passers-by who may have questions, show them the picture you took, or talk to them about birding. Several residents have taken pride in knowing a rare bird is in their yard or neighborhood.

Justyn Stahl

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 12:41 PM Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl@...> wrote:
On 25 October, an INCA DOVE was photographed () along the east side of the Navy golf course on North Island. The bird was still present today, 28 October, and at least briefly was perched up on a power line a few houses north of the west end of 8th Street (where the Cassin’s Sparrow was last year). Looking from that small pocket park (which is how one can also see orioles and Tropical Kingbirds), with luck, you may be able to spot the dove. I and the original finder have access to the base which of course makes it easier. Most of us likely already saw the long-staying Inca Doves at Roadrunner Club in Borrego Springs a few years ago, but some newer birders perhaps not. If you do make the drive over, consider checking any of the other tree-lined streets around Coronado, particularly those with tipus and flowering Melaleucas, but as always exercise considerate behavior when looking into people’s trees and yards.

I checked late morning yesterday and again this morning and heard from one other that the North Park Tennessee Warbler was a no show, seemingly disappearing as I hit send on the email yesterday.

Finally, yesterday afternoon in cool, cloudy conditions, there was a female SUMMER TANAGER and at least one (possibly two) GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES at the Bird and Butterfly Gardens.

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island