La Jolla seawatch -- Black Scoters, GWF Goose, Short-eared Owl, 27-28 October 2019

Gary Nunn

Been doing some seawatching too over last couple of days but from a different vantage point a bit further south of the Bridge Club on the south lawn area of Ellen Browning Scripps Park.

Sunday afternoon 27 October 2019 was great with 2500+ Surf Scoter passing south.  A couple of female/first-winter type BLACK SCOTER were well hidden in large flocks just a minute or less apart.  First spotted by Aaron Gyllenhaal.  Photos of the first individual in the eBird checklist here https://ebird.org/checklist/S60986534 Also lots of Common Loon in groups 4-5 strong, as many as 15 in a single flock.

I went back this morning 28 October 2019 for a little while and saw most of the birds reported also by Stan Walens - one Greater White-fronted Goose headed north, and then at 8:40 am a SHORT-EARED OWL going north also, was my first I think from La Jolla, sadly the owl was too far out for photography but no doubt *wise* as Western Gulls were looking aggravated with at least one taking a close call on the owl, also the adult male BLACK SCOTER going south in a group of Surf Scoter.  Photos here https://ebird.org/checklist/S61002342

--
Gary Nunn
Pacific Beach