Just South of the Border Pelagic Birds (10/18/2019)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
Apologies this post is not from San Diego County, but is from just south in the waters of Mexico, but is relevant to our offshore waters here in our County. The location we started our drift was approximately 35 miles SW of the tip of Point Loma (at the 425).  We drifted east from this location from 0600-1030. Yellowfin Tuna were abundant, and so were seabirds that follow them. Pink-footed Shearwaters were very abundant, Northern Fulmars in whatever plumage you wanted to see were absolutely out of control, and dare I say annoying at times! No Jaegers all day. There were several Brown Boobies in various ages and sexes, and Black-vented Shearwaters here-and-there.

Highlights were few,  BUT! A LAYSAN ALBATROSS casually passed by our stern and just kept on going (only my second ever on the West Coast of USA/MX)!

But the best bird of all was this dark bird on the water at sunrise. It kept swimming toward us. It finally swam to the stern of our boat. AMERICAN COOT!! So Random. It swam with us for hours and turned out to be our good luck charm. Once it came close we all of the sudden started catching tuna for the next few hours while it casually tagged along. This AMCO must have overshot Lemon Tank on San Clemente Island:)!!

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran,
Leucadia, CA

--