Yellow-green Vireo in downtown San Diego

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

On Thursday I received via Project Wildlife a specimen of the Yellow-green Vireo that was found on 15 September at the San Diego Bayfront Hilton Hotel at the foot of Park Boulevard/12th Ave. in downtown San Diego. Yesterday I spoke over the phone with the man who found it, one of the hotel’s security staff. Finding the bird sitting at length on the ground, he put it in a box and took it to Project Wildlife the next day, but the effort to treat it was unsuccessful. I prepared the specimen as soon as I received it and found it was an immature male. The skull was already about 75% pneumatized, farther along than most small songbirds this early in the fall. With no external bleeding it made into a good specimen, catalogued as SDNHM 56394. Even if the Yellow-green Vireo is now so regular in California that the California Bird Records Committee has discontinued reviewing reports of it, there are still only four previous extant specimens of the species preserved from California.

Thanks very much to Linda King for continuing to serve as the liaison between Project Wildlife and the San Diego Natural History Museum so these valuable specimens do not go to waste. Linda always ensures I get the most complete data possible about every specimen, enabling me to follow up with the finder to clarify the story when needed.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt