Buena Vista Audubon Sunday Oct. 13, 2019 Pelagic

David Povey

The Oct. 13th. Buena Vista Audubon Pelagic went off in very calm seas. (1 ft. swell, 7 knots or less wind).
Highlights for Sunday's pelagic were a near adult Nazca Booby about 11 n.miles WSW of Point Loma on the outer edge of the Nine Mile Bank.
One or two Least Storm-Petrels in a small raft of Black Storm-Petrels at 26 n. miles due west of Ocean Beach. YES A RAFT ! This was the first hint of any Least Storm-Petrels above the border this year.
Neither species seen close to the boat and both confirmed by photographs. Particular thanks to Nancy Christensen who got near perfect ID shots of a Least Storm-Petrel in front of the mob of quickly scattering Black Storm-Petrels at perhaps 200 yards.
No storm-petrels were seen anywhere outside this limited area on the Thirty Mile Bank.
Other surprises were seven Northern Fulmars over the day, all dark gray morphs except one intermediate whitish morph.
The offshore jaeger show continues with maybe 15 seen. I think they split about evenly between Parasitic Jaegers and Pomarine Jaegers.
Two small unidentified alcids photo'd at huge distance may have been early Ancient Murrelets. Extensive white undersides, including the underwings.  Pale gray above, and what appears to be a dark streak on the body under the wing.
I've not heard of the species being reported from north of here this fall, and with the blurry/over exposed photos and low light angle. I think these best left alcid sp.
Overall the Nine Mile Bank had lots of life ( it had been quiet all summer ). The San Diego Trough and Thirty Mile Bank (except for the storm-petrels there) were very quiet.
This was the last pelagic trip for 2019. My thanks to all that came out with us this year. Your participation is critical to our continued use of fishing boats such as Grande, This year's fishing was off the charts locally, and the demand for boats exceeded the supply. This put a lot of pressure on Captains and owners to make up for years when boat loans and salaries could not be paid. Yes, they do make more fishing than taking us offshore. Great turnouts by birders helped get us through these times
We hope to continue into 2020 and with increased competition with other pelagic trips around the country ( a good thing ). I know you have lots of choices, and I hope you'll come back out with us in the future. Thank you again.
So on to a partial list of species seen ( some editing and review needed before it's finalized );
dabbling duck sp. 50+  including a very distance large V some miles away and sky high, that appeared to be ducks not geese.
Surf Scoter 8
Common Loon 2
Eared Grebe   3   S.D.Bay
Northern Fulmar   7