Prairie Falcon at FRNC

Tuck Russell

Barbara Carlson, Trent Stanley, and I were staking out the LEFL to no avail when this apparent juvenile Prairie Falcon flew over (doubt only about the age).  It is the lack of white behind the eye and the relatively heavy streaking that suggest juvenile to me.  This is apparently the first record at this location, at least in eBird. Justyn Stahl joined us a little later and said he had one at Cabrillo Monument, but couldn't get shots.  Almost certainly the same bird.  Trent and I got shots, and mine are in this eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60371888

We were all hoping for Broad Winged, as there continue to be reports from counties farther north in SoCal, but no soap.

Tuck Russell
Hillcrest