Topics

Network Goals.

Jesse Newell

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your interest in creating the Salem Mesh Network. The goal is to create a city wide, self healing network, maintained and operated by Amateur radio operators and ordinary citizens.

This type of network will allow us to communicate at high speed, independent of any existing infrastructure in place today.

To get an idea of how this type of network may be utilized and implemented please watch this video from Meta Mesh on their Pittmesh network: https://youtu.be/OvAT7DTspaM

Our goal is to model our network after already implemented networks and improve upon as well as adapt this type of networking system to our challenging terrain.

Your input is appreciated. Spread the word. We can not make this happen with YOU. Please encourage anyone interested to join up. We need technical experts, equipment and muscle. Everyone can contribute in some way.

We will be meeting for feedback and discussion on the WA7ABU repeater. Time and date TBD.

Thank you for your interest.

If you have any questions, this is what this group is for. Do not hesitate to reply.

Hope you are having a great weekend, talk to you soon.

Jesse Newell
K9VXV
West Salem

Dan Bathurst <wa7abu@...>

Hi Jesse,

Let me know when you wish to get the net going. I am interested. I can have a node running in a couple days if I know who to connect to. The band might make a difference.

Dan

WA7ABU

[...]

Mike Smart

Hey Jesse,
     How goes things?  Are we at the point of setting up our first group meeting?  I'm thinking of going to the Lynn County ARES meeting tomorrow night @7pm in Alban.  This is an attempt to get in contact with some of their folks that actually setup and run their MESH network. I'm looking to find out what worked/didn't work for them, lessons learned, and devices they're using. Not to copy  everything they're doing, but to get some idea of what we can use in our area without having to start from scratch.
     If you feel like this would be a waste as we have locals folks with this knowledge, let me know. I'd like to get discussions started, as I've got the money to buy at least 2 new units. But don't know what yet to buy.

Mike
N0TIF

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Hey Mike,

Things are going well. Just keeping busy as usual. I hope all is well! I think we are ready to setup a meeting and discuss the construction of the initial links. This will help to establish a time line of when we can expect the first network operations and at the same time work together as a group to discuss technical options and fall back plans as well alternate routes. I feel that you making contact with that group would be very valuable to us. While I have a bit of theoretical knowledge I have not worked with this type of network in a practical sense so I think that this information would assist us greatly. I know time is short for everyone so we will need to coordinate our first meeting at a time where we can get everyone on air. I know Paul is mobile in the early evening.

Jesse