From: Salemmeshnetwork@groups.io [mailto:Salemmeshnetwork@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott KF7GGN
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 9:04 PM
To: Salemmeshnetwork@groups.io
Subject: [Salemmeshnetwork] just joined group

Hi to the Salem Mesh Network -

Listened to your net this evening, and got the contact info. I just signed on to the group. Very interested in setting a mesh network in rural towns in Benton Co, and perhaps in Corvallis as well. Presently I am working with a group of hams in Alsea on Hwy 34 to set up emergency comms capability there, and they are interested in a mesh network, but the terrain is very challenging, I would like to follow the development of a mesh in Salem, and see if i can contribute in some way. I would like to have something similar in Corvallis and/or a link to Salem.  Glad the project is progressing! Looking forward to further participation.

73,
--
Scott Gilbert / KF7GGN
Corvallis, OR

Mark Wardell (AG7HH)

Hello,

I also thought it was an interesting NET last night even if I didn't check in, and believe me I was sorely tempted given some of the conversations. :-)

I want to introduce myself a bit, while I only moved to West Salem this past Summer I've been working in Salem for many years and listened to the repeaters in the area often on my drive back and forth to Portland. I am generally a quiet person so listening is mostly what I did, but I would also check in on the Lunch Bunch or some other NETS when I could, so over the years I knew that AREDN has been a topic of conversation for a while, and I am pleased to see something more happening with that now that I've moved here. I also very much want to be a part of the Salem Mesh effort even though where I live is sheltered and unlikely to be linked to anyone directly for many years.

On the other hand, in Portland, I was and still am a member of the Cascade Amature Radio Society (CARS), which is also doing business as Oregon HamWan. In fact, I'm not just a member, I sit on the board of CARS as treasurer which by default makes me the treasurer for Oregon HamWan, at least for the time being. So I hope you can reflect on last nights NET and understand why I found it particularly interesting, both from a Salem Mesh point of view but especially when the discussion drifted and included comments about the Oregon HamWan group that I am a part of. Now I chose not to join the conversation for two reasons, the stated purpose of the NET was the Salem AREDN Mesh network, not Oregon HamWan, so I didn't want to push the conversation further off-topic even in response to point I felt needed clarification, but I also didn't feel that I had sufficient information to provide that needed clarification on the air at that moment. Except, I will say Ken lives in Tualatin, not Oregon City as was stated last night. :-)

Given where I live now and my desire to be a part of the Salem Mesh group, or whatever we end up calling it, and my continued involvement with CARS and Oregon HamWan I'm offering to act as a liaison between the two groups to try and ensure more accurate information is being shared between them. I believe these two networks are complementary to each other if we can only work together. So in this self-appointed role if you have a question for the Oregon HamWan group either send it to me directly or better yet post it here and I will get an answer for you. Likewise, as Oregon HamWan has questions about Salem Mesh I will bring them here to try to get them answered.

73

Mark in West Salem
AG7HH