Topics

gear guide

Brian

Howdy,

I didn't't see a gear guide so which Ubiquity Rocket and antenna should i consider for the mesh?

Brian

KJ7ITZ

Brett Popovich KG7GDB

Hi Brian,
Take a look at the Files section here in this forum.
--> Read the beginners guide and the spreadsheet comparing devices.

Search the messages here for discussions relating to our equipment.
Choose a 5 GHz MIMO, 802.11n device with 64 MB or more RAM, (typically these are called AirMax). USA models are fine.
The newest AC class models cannot be programmed for AREDN part 97 use.

We don't use the Ubiquiti Rocket Airmax M5 for typical home installations.
It is used to power the Sector 120 16 dB and Omni 13dB antennas used in high elevation access sites. It is the also the most expensive device to deploy; typically about $200 for the Rocket and the Antenna.
The NanoStation M5, NanoBeam, and PowerBeam M5-400 are better, lower cost, choices for a home install depending on distance to the best access point.

We can help you decide which one is best for your needs.

-Brett, KG7GDB

Brett, just wondering:

  1. is there a preferred vendor list for the different items listed?
  2. Have we approached anyone for bulk pricing?

[...]

Hi Walt,
So far, all of our devices have been individually purchased or donated.
For new devices, the easiest way to purchase is via the AREDN supported device matrix table. Clicking the link loads the Amazon page for the device, and AREDN gets some income form Amazon. Amazon has been slower in delivering devices and had somewhat higher prices since March; probably due to COVID-19 supply issues.
Dan has purchased Mikrotik radios from https://www.ispsupplies.com/ with success recently; they have fast delivery with shipping charges. I have noticed bulk pricing is available on some models.
For individual purchases, some people prefer eBay and purchasing used items. Be careful that they are offering the newer versions of devices and including PoE adapters. For example, avoid buying Ubiquiti older models using a chipset called XM with 32MB of RAM. We want to buy the XW chipset versisons with 64MB RAM and MIMO radios.
Feel free to ask for help before placing an order.

-Brett, KG7GDB