Topics

Connecting with a tunnel

Roger Bury

My tunnel is down because it is set up to connect to KG7BZ.

Anyone know how to change those settings so I can connect into the mesh from my tunnel?

Roger KC7OM

Brett Popovich KG7GDB

Hi Roger,
KG7BZ has powered down his mesh station in preparation for a possible evacuation.

We need to find you another tunnel server account, probably in Linn County.
Anyone who is currently operating a server on the mesh can assign you another account. They need your full node name, and contact info to set up your account.
You simply enter the new tunnel server address and password on you client page.

The limitation seems to be that a given tunnel server radio only can have about 6 clients, so we need someone who has extra spots to offer you a connection.

Does anyone have a tunnel connection to offer Roger at this time? Please reply.

We do need more people to host AREDN tunnel servers. Anyone want to be a server?

The requirements to be a server are that you need a registered fully qualified domain name and an internet connection, a VLAN switch, and an AREDN radio, usually a newer radio with 64+ MB of RAM. The server and client software are built into the AREDN device software and can be downloaded directly AREDN.
A server can actually work without an RF mesh connection, but it is preferable that the server radio be on a managed switch with another RF connected node.

I hope we can find you another server soon!

-Brett, KG7GDB

KJ7DMC

Hello,

I'm new to the mesh but have a background in networking and might be able to help. I have a server in a datacenter in Canby, is there coverage down there? I won't be able to have an AREDN node installed at the moment, but in the future I can definitely voulenteer a tunnel server.

Best,
Nate Sales
KJ7DMC
AS34553

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020, 11:40 PM Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io <brettkp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Crittenden J Tuttle IV

I would be happy to be a Aredn tunnel server.

I still need to get a node setup and a radio going. However, these are very difficult times;  Covid and the fires. I am happy to make time, whenever it is convenient for the team to get started and within the team's timeframe.

My number is 503.383.8055.

This weekend after 2 pm and on is open and I can make anything happen next week.

If this helps the group now, awesome. If not, I can wait until it's possible and convenient for all involved.

KJ7NUX
Crittenden (Jim)

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020, 23:40 Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io <brettkp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Crittenden,

Thank you for offering your help, too. The mesh grows stronger with every additional station.

Please read the previous posts where I reference the hardware requirements.

As you are located within Salem, and probably have a good RF path to the Transportation Building Omni signal, it would be good if you can get a device going soon. It may be possible to connect with just the Mikrotik LDF5 head device at your distance. Perhaps contact Dan WA7ABU to arrange to borrow one for testing.

To be a tunnel server, you would need to connect your outside AREDN radio to a managed switch with VLAN1 and 2 capability or Mikrotik hAP ac lite, and the other port and WAN port and DNS address requirements referenced below.

73,
Brett

Brett Popovich KG7GDB

Hi Nate,
There isn't a station in the Canby area yet. We haven't had a chance to site survey looking for signals from our sector and Omni access points located in Hopewell, West Salem SW from the area about 25 miles.  The map predicts coverage into Aurora, but we have been unable to locate a site with a clear view to the SW.

Your server and data center experience is valuable to the whole mesh, as we are trying to develop local mesh services such as collaboration servers for team conferencing and document sharing. If you would like to help, we are currently trying to set up the sandstorm.io server on a mesh-connected VM Linux x86 environment.

The AREDN tunnel server itself doesn't run on traditional X86 server hardware.
Each AREDN radio, being a tiny OpenWRT Linux-based system, uses packages (vtun),  to perform the server and client functions.
So you need a AREDN device such as the Mikrotik hAP ac lite (it has the VLAN1 ports preconfigured), with the tunnel server package, a WAN connection with a static IP address with port forwarding on your firewall to port 5525 on the mesh, and a domain name registered on the internet. As you are already running a data center, you have a more advanced need to configure and firewall the AREDN tunnel and mesh from your existing data system.
You may want to talk with KJ7DZ, Frank who is a network manager, and runs one of our tunnel servers.

Here is the Tunnel server documentation page from the AREDN developers:
https://arednmesh.readthedocs.io/en/latest/arednGettingStarted/advanced_config.html?highlight=tunnel#tunnel-server

73,
Brett, KG7GDB

Aa Bb

I am a tunnel server in Salem. I have a couple of spots open. If people are in need

73

Ki7fwh
Allan

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 10:50 Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io <brettkp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Crittenden,

Thank you for offering your help, too. The mesh grows stronger with every additional station.

Please read the previous posts where I reference the hardware requirements.

As you are located within Salem, and probably have a good RF path to the Transportation Building Omni signal, it would be good if you can get a device going soon. It may be possible to connect with just the Mikrotik LDF5 head device at your distance. Perhaps contact Dan WA7ABU to arrange to borrow one for testing.

To be a tunnel server, you would need to connect your outside AREDN radio to a managed switch with VLAN1 and 2 capability or Mikrotik hAP ac lite, and the other port and WAN port and DNS address requirements referenced below.

73,
Brett

KJ7DMC

Hi Brett,

Got it. I also have a few machines at home in Beaverton, so maybe I
would be able to connect closer to there.

Thanks for the information about the tunnel operations. That's neat
the tunnel is all contained within OpenWRT, I had assumed it would run
in a separate router or VM.

I'd certainly be interested in helping with server configuration
wherever I can be of assistance. I've never used sandstorm.io myself,
but I work with Linux VMs all the time. How would I best be of use?

Cheers,
Nate
KJ7DMC
AS34553

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:51 AM Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io
[...]

Dan Bathurst

Hi Crittenden,

Is after 2 on Saturday 9/12 OK to bring over some gear to let you test or do you feel you would need help with it?

The Satelite reflector mounts to the device with a normal clamp built in. The MikroTik device gets power through one CAT5 cable, any length. The device plugs into an injector that is very small. The injector plugs into a switch, not on the internet or into a computer directly, which can be occasional or permanent. The power keeps the device going with only the CAT5 connection. The injector is then plugged in.

Does that feel worth trying tomorrow? We can talk through the program that comes up on a computer.

I use some access points which allow me some flexibility. There are many toys in the networking environment. We can talk as we go. You can be as simple or as complex in the system as you wish. The device plugged in and talking to the network is the main thing.

73,

Dan

WA7ABU