Topics

Connecting to the new Corvallis node #installation

Caius Brindescu KN6GWT

Hello,

I've been trying to connect to the new Corvallis node, and so far I've had no luck.

My location is at Highland & Hayes, and the radio is on a ~10 ft mast. I think the current setup is correct, but I would like a second opinion. Here's what I have:

SSID: BCARES-5-v3

Channel: 180

Channel Width: 5 MHz

I am running a TP-Link CPE 510 with firmware version 1674-437b478. The hardware type as reported is: (ath79/generic) cpe (cpe510-v2). I installed a nightly version a couple of months ago.

Running a wifi scan does not show anything on 5 and 10 MHz channel widths, so I think it's likely a line of sight issue. Running a scan on 20 MHz will show all the neighborhood wifi's, as expected. I'd like to eliminate any possible config issues before I try some other locations around the yard/town.

Thanks for your help,

Caius KN6GWT

[...]

Brett Popovich KG7GDB

Hi Caius,
Your connection information appears correct.
You will be searching for K7CVO-GSRMC-M5 on Ch 180 and 5 MHz bandwidth using WiFi scan.
If your radio is set to the same SSID (BCARES-5-v3), it will show a green table entry when a signal is detected. It is my understanding that this is a 120 degree sector antenna pointing roughly South from the Good Sam Hospital in Corvallis.

In our experience, it is helpful to first drive near the node of interest withing a block or two and try to connect using an inverter on a battery or car accessory adapter. You can even place your node on the dashboard.

Once you connect at close range on the South side of the hospital,  it will be easier to reconnect as you scout out new areas.

Remember, if you can see it, you can work it, so try to find a visual landmark to help you find the hospital.
You should be able to use the mesh map mirror page to get a bearing from your home QTH back to the hospital. https://willamettevalleymesh.net/map.html
Trees and houses will block the signal. 10 to 12 feet will work fine, if you have line of sight.

Good luck!
73,
Brett, KG7GDB

Caius Brindescu KN6GWT

HI Brett,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try near the hospital later today, and hopefully I'll get the node up and running shortly.

-Caius

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 12:00 AM Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io <brettkp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Quick update. I was able to verify the settings near the hospital (yay), and I also got a brief connection from my back yard. It looks like I need more elevation to get a reliable signal :-|.

Thanks for your help,
-Caius