Topics

Mesh Outages from 2-12 Ice Storm #Announcements

Brett Popovich KG7GDB

Widespread power outages continue today Tuesday 16 February in the Willamette Valley and up to Portland.
We still have a mesh network running from Florence to Marion and Yamhill counties, but no main RF connections.

Tunnel connections are helping to keep us going but we are at a low of 34 nodes visible here in Marion County.
KI7FWH tunnel server is down. Victor Point is down. WA7ABU tower has unknown technical (maybe switch) problems but there is a site visit today.
K9RCP Chehalem Ridge is down. Polk EOC and Dallas have power, Hopewell and KJ7TAD are powered hubs, but we can't see them.
Please send status reports from Linn and Benton Counties!

I suspect Albany and Benton have mesh, but it would be great to have updates from you. It would be great if someone in your area could tunnel over to Florence which would reconnect the South valley to the North.

This power outage has revealed some system wide weaknesses, even in RF connections when access points are unreachable.
If you are only on a tunnel, try hard to get RF going or find a secondary tunnel connection to another county. Consider making your station a tunnel server with backup power.

Work hard to provide battery backup for your nodes. A deep cycle AGM battery and an inverter can power a node for several days.
This is a good time to have an emergency mesh network available.

Good luck and hang in there.
73,

Brett, KG7GDB

I am in Hermiston where I got a 4kw generator for my house.

The Home Depot here was the closest I could find. Staying in a friends heated house is nice. Returning tomorrow to see how many hours it will take to heat my home. The electric co thinks we will have power again by this weekend.

On Feb 16, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io <brettkp@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Bathurst

It took only seconds to find the 529 MESH issues.
We need a tower climb.

Dan - WA7ABU

On Feb 16, 2021 11:35 AM, "Brett Popovich KG7GDB via groups.io" <brettkp@...> wrote:
[...]

n7ime@...

If we find a climber for this, I'd like to also talk about Eagle Crest. Originally the county was wanting to arrange the climber but the last I heard from the radio engineer he would supervise the install if we have a climber and we can likely get the two Sector antennas installed on that site sooner. As an elevated site with emergency backup power, it may be a good strategic node for the network. All the mesh hardware is ready to go when we can get an installation window, either with a climber from our community or waiting for the county to have other work on that tower that we can piggy-back this onto.

Any update on Victor Point? I'm not sure if that is a power issue or something else?

73,
Jason / N7IME

Jerry Schrock

Yes, Victor Point is without power.  I spoke with Steve the property owner yesterday and he thinks it may be awhile before it is restored.  Even though he's got a large solar array generating all the power he needs, he does not have battery backup so without grid connectivity he's stuck.
73
Jerry  WA7HSB

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021, 10:25 AM <n7ime@...> wrote:
If we find a climber for this, I'd like to also talk about Eagle Crest. Originally the county was wanting to arrange the climber but the last I heard from the radio engineer he would supervise the install if we have a climber and we can likely get the two Sector antennas installed on that site sooner. As an elevated site with emergency backup power, it may be a good strategic node for the network. All the mesh hardware is ready to go when we can get an installation window, either with a climber from our community or waiting for the county to have other work on that tower that we can piggy-back this onto.

Any update on Victor Point? I'm not sure if that is a power issue or something else?

73,
Jason / N7IME

William Powell

I checked the MESH nodes at Good Samaritan Medical Center in Corvallis this morning. They were both operational and had connectivity through Rodgers Mtn. to Albany and Lebanon hospitals. A total of 34 nodes were visible.

Bill Powell, KE7ZKH