Upgrading to SS Dorades? #sabre34MkII

alex.ivatchev@...

Does anyone knows a good place where I can get stainless dorades for my 34T? Nothing wrong with original ones, just starting to look a little shabby.

Thanks

Alex

Charlie McMillan

Took me a long time to find these guys:

Much nicer than the “Alien” looking Vetus dorades.

Charlie McMillan

McMillan Group Inc
25 Otter Trail
Westport, Ct  06880
203-227-8696 office
203-291-9764 mobile
www.mcmillangroup.com

On Feb 2, 2021, at 4:57 PM, alex.ivatchev@... wrote:

Does anyone knows a good place where I can get stainless dorades for my 34T? Nothing wrong with original ones, just starting to look a little shabby.

Thanks

Alex

Jim Starkey

Quibble: What you are looking for a ventilator cowl.  A dorade is a box that separates water from from the air before it flows below.  On almost all Sabre, the actual dorade is part of the deck molding, though on most other boats, it's actually a box.

Google "ventilator cowls .  They're standard parts rather than Sabre specific.  A problem you may have, however, is that most have screw bases while the plastic ones that Sabre used are just friction mounted.

--
Jim Starkey

Peter Tollini

Marine depot direct.com sells Manship stainless cowls. You can even choose the inside color. We’ve had the low profile vents and mounting rings for @ 10 years and they look new. Truly “boat jewelry”
Not cheap. You are looking at $650 for a set of 4.
Pete

On Feb 2, 2021, at 5:22 PM, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

Quibble: What you are looking for a ventilator cowl.  A dorade is a box that separates water from from the air before it flows below.  On almost all Sabre, the actual dorade is part of the deck molding, though on most other boats, it's actually a box.

Google "ventilator cowls .  They're standard parts rather than Sabre specific.  A problem you may have, however, is that most have screw bases while the plastic ones that Sabre used are just friction mounted.

On 2/2/2021 4:57 PM, alex.ivatchev@... wrote:

Does anyone knows a good place where I can get stainless dorades for my 34T? Nothing wrong with original ones, just starting to look a little shabby.

Thanks

Alex

--
Jim Starkey

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

I believe on my 97 362 Glen said they were from Whitewater Marine https://whitewatermh.com/product-category/cowl-vents-and-deck-plates/

I brought mine home last winter & stripped the interior white paint, which was bubbling & corroding underneath.  Sanded to a more or less satin SS finish & waxed.  Lasted the summer fine, we'll see as the years progress.

On 2/2/2021 7:49 PM, Peter Tollini wrote:
[...]

Dave Short

dhs.short@...

Saif

Try SeaLux. My boat has 4 3” SS w/ white interior. They also sell caps to seal them for winter storage (i guess, in San Diego😜). Makes a huge cosmetic difference. One of my dock neighbors admitted to having dorado envy.

https://www.sealuxpro.com/SeaLux-Round-Stamped-316-Stainless-Steel-Cowl-Vent-in-RED-4%22-plate-Dorade-Box-vent

Franz Alvarez

The caps are great if an anticipated 45-50 kt storm is coming through the area and you want to remove the vents and cap the dorade boxes; in addition to removing the dodger/bimini. Get the caps.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Saif <cbelaire1@...> wrote:

Try SeaLux. My boat has 4 3” SS w/ white interior. They also sell caps to seal them for winter storage (i guess, in San Diego😜). Makes a huge cosmetic difference. One of my dock neighbors admitted to having dorado envy.

https://www.sealuxpro.com/SeaLux-Round-Stamped-316-Stainless-Steel-Cowl-Vent-in-RED-4%22-plate-Dorade-Box-vent

--
Franz Alvarez
S/V Tranquility - S38MKII

Harry Keith

If 45-50 knots is a problem, maybe you need to reassess the boat in general.  One of our last sails of the year (the last?  I forget) was a beat in 30+, then a run up the Bay in 35 gusting to 40 (true wind speeds -- so that 30 was 40+ apparent, although the 35-40 was more like 30 apparent).  I was focusing on sail management, for sure -- but the bimini, dodger, and cowles were not on my mind!

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM Franz Alvarez <franz_alvarez@...> wrote:
The caps are great if an anticipated 45-50 kt storm is coming through the area and you want to remove the vents and cap the dorade boxes; in addition to removing the dodger/bimini. Get the caps.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Saif <cbelaire1@...> wrote:

Try SeaLux. My boat has 4 3” SS w/ white interior. They also sell caps to seal them for winter storage (i guess, in San Diego😜). Makes a huge cosmetic difference. One of my dock neighbors admitted to having dorado envy.

https://www.sealuxpro.com/SeaLux-Round-Stamped-316-Stainless-Steel-Cowl-Vent-in-RED-4%22-plate-Dorade-Box-vent

--
Franz Alvarez
S/V Tranquility - S38MKII

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

I see the SeaLux claim to be 316 SS, the White Water ones I referenced previously are only 304.  316 mo bedda

On 2/3/2021 11:00 AM, Saif wrote:
Try SeaLux. My boat has 4 3” SS w/ white interior. They also sell caps to seal them for winter storage (i guess, in San Diego😜). Makes a huge cosmetic difference. One of my dock neighbors admitted to having dorado envy.

https://www.sealuxpro.com/SeaLux-Round-Stamped-316-Stainless-Steel-Cowl-Vent-in-RED-4%22-plate-Dorade-Box-vent

--

Dave Short

dhs.short@...

Charlie McMillan

“Cowl Vents” are removed and caps put in place to race.

Charlie McMillan

McMillan Group Inc
25 Otter Trail
Westport, Ct  06880
203-227-8696 office
203-291-9764 mobile
www.mcmillangroup.com

On Feb 3, 2021, at 2:03 PM, Harry Keith <sailor11767@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, notorious line snaggers.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 2:16 PM, Charlie McMillan <charlie@...> wrote:

[...]

And windage

Charlie McMillan

McMillan Group Inc
25 Otter Trail
Westport, Ct  06880
203-227-8696 office
203-291-9764 mobile
www.mcmillangroup.com

On Feb 3, 2021, at 4:02 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan S-28 #579

Replaced mine with this
No line hangups and can close it

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 10:49 AM Franz Alvarez <franz_alvarez@...> wrote:
The caps are great if an anticipated 45-50 kt storm is coming through the area and you want to remove the vents and cap the dorade boxes; in addition to removing the dodger/bimini. Get the caps.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Saif <cbelaire1@...> wrote:

Try SeaLux. My boat has 4 3” SS w/ white interior. They also sell caps to seal them for winter storage (i guess, in San Diego😜). Makes a huge cosmetic difference. One of my dock neighbors admitted to having dorado envy.

https://www.sealuxpro.com/SeaLux-Round-Stamped-316-Stainless-Steel-Cowl-Vent-in-RED-4%22-plate-Dorade-Box-vent

--
Franz Alvarez
S/V Tranquility - S38MKII

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

where from & how well do they vent?

On 2/3/2021 4:09 PM, Dan S-28 #579 wrote:
[...]

They dont vent as well as a cowling
But here in Pac NW it is good enough
Also less to worry about tripping on.
Any marine store has them

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 1:13 PM David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME <dhs.short@...> wrote:
[...]

Vetus mushroom vent
$5 at a swap meet
I sure miss precovid swap meets

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 1:18 PM Dan <sailmandan@...> wrote:
[...]

Thx
I am not likely to change as, on the 362 they rarely catch lines & the existing setup keeps the old girl nicely vented on her mooring in the prevailing 10-15kt SW

On 2/3/2021 4:18 PM, Dan S-28 #579 wrote:
[...]

To clarify, and Carter can attest, we had a storm come through the NYC tri-state area last August 4th. We had predicted high winds with 40-50 mph gusts and projected to have a lot of rain to go with it. So to be prudent since we’re on moorings, I capped the vents and took down bimini/dodger, removed the anchor; trussed the sails, and lashed the framing. If we had received the heavy rain they predicted (which we didn’t) it would have overwhelmed the dorade boxes.

If I were on a Bermuda passage, I would more than likely remove the two forward vents and leave the two aft as is.

But as you noted, if you’re in a middle of a passage and a strong system snuck up on you, you’re focusing on sail management not capping vents/storm prep - it’s too late for that.

On Feb 3, 2021, at 4:06 PM, Charlie McMillan <charlie@...> wrote:

[...]

Carter Brey

Yes, Frank, I not only remember that storm, I was on board Atlantea in the middle of it. I had been  out cruising farther east when it became clear that a monster tropical low was headed up the coast, and I accordingly evaluated my options. My first choice was Mattituck Inlet but I needed to be a bit farther west because of scheduling. I pulled into Port Washington and motored down into the extreme SE corner of the harbor, picking up a commercial mooring from Port Jefferson Launch.

I tied a line around the furled headsail, added antichafe to the mooring pendants and removed the bimini but left the two 150-watt solar panels on the arch over the cockpit. I also reinforced the side solar panels with lashings in their closed position. I left the dodger up.

To my left was a 44-foot center-cockpit cruising yacht also taking shelter with her owner on board. He had left canvas, wind generator and dingie on davits all out and exposed. I was very curious to see what would happen to him.

You can see from the attached screen grab, which I took at the height of the festivities, that we were smack in the middle of the "dangerous" eastern side of the storm. My wind instrument display is out in the cockpit so I had to venture out periodically to check the wind strength. The highest sustained gust I saw was 45 knots but my neighbor told me later that he saw 50.

Nothing on his boat carried away.

Nothing on my boat was damaged. As Frank said, there was not an unusual amount of rain; I had turned my dorade vents to face the stern and had no unusual leakage.

The boat on a mooring directly astern, unoccupied, had its bimini shredded. On the way out of the harbor the next morning I saw several boats whose furling headsails had been partially shredded.

My erstwhile neighbor is now on the hook in the Florida Keys. I hate him.

Carter Brey
S38-II Atlantea
City Island, NY

Terry

Alex,

Swapping out 4 dorades for stainless steel on our s38 was looking realy expensive, like $1000.  I decided to try painting them first to see how they would hold up. Rustolium has a spray can product that adheres to plastic surfaces with a wide color range and finish. I went with an off white satin finish.
I took them off, roughed up the surface with 320/400 grit and made cut-outs to protect the red inside. Used a lazy susan so I could rotate them while spraying. Refitted with new butyl tape. Came out very well. Into our second season, aokay!!

Terry