Paining a mast #sabre34MkII

alex.ivatchev@...

Hi, any recommendations on what is best to paint a mast with? I am about to have my boat hauled out, and wanted to clean up the mast while it is down.

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

there was just a discussion of this a few weeks ago https://groups.io/g/SabreSailboat/topic/79533832#78203
Original paint for Sabre was Awlgrip Matterhorn White
Also current issue of Practical Sailor has an article on mast paint

--

Dave Short

dhs.short@...

Darshan

Alex, previous spring we had our mast down and I removed all hardware, sanded it to bare aluminum, primed it with 2 coats of 2 part primer and then applied 2 coats of 2 part paint. I rolled and tipped, didn’t spray, the mast looks like new.

These are the products I used:

Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Darshan
34-2
Manhasset Bay

On Jan 31, 2021, at 12:57 PM, alex.ivatchev@... wrote:

Hi, any recommendations on what is best to paint a mast with? I am about to have my boat hauled out, and wanted to clean up the mast while it is down.

alex.ivatchev@...

Appreciate it, exactly the info I needed.

Peter Tollini

Be careful working with Perfection- the solvent is not to be inhaled.  A good respirator with the right canisters is a wise precaution.

On Feb 1, 2021, at 9:17 AM, alex.ivatchev@... wrote:

Appreciate it, exactly the info I needed.

John Kalinowski

Had the stick pulled last week.

Will be stripping and painting with2 part Alexseal.

Will be a roll job (eg no tipping).

Just awaiting warmer weather to begin.

john

Hi, any recommendations on what is best to paint a mast with? I am about to have my boat hauled out, and wanted to clean up the mast while it is down.

Keith Bucklen

I took my boom to an auto body shop in the winter, gave them a quart of good marine paint (gloss) and they sprayed it for $200, looks great. I painted the mast by hand with flat white rust oleum marine paint as it gets beat up and I touch it up every few years, it came out nice. I did not want to but 2k for a pro job or take on tip and roll with such an odd shape. All in it was affordable and the flat paint made for a few quick coats, happy with it.