New Mainsheet Blocks S34-2. #sabre34MkII

Martin

Planning to replace the blocks on the mainsheet with  either Harken  Carbo or the new  and lower priced Harken Element. Significant difference in boat bucks. I am  hoping to reduce the friction to offset advancing age or operators.   Roller bearings offer promise but Harken tech said the winch doesn't care. He indicated customers like the Element blocks.  I am a fan of harken as they were a mandatory upgrade when I was racing Hobie 16s in the 70s  plus  the 35 year old Harken blocks on our boat remain excellent and free running. Can't say the same for the Shaefer original blocks now on the main.
Anyone used the new Element blocks?

Martin

Kokopellii
S34 ll

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

Being a cheap sob I’m partial to garhauer and they work great. Have definitely used harken some locations like first reef on the main where smaller and lighter really pays. I’m not a racer.

On Dec 2, 2020, at 12:48 AM, Martin <mnthomas46@...> wrote:

Planning to replace the blocks on the mainsheet with  either Harken  Carbo or the new  and lower priced Harken Element. Significant difference in boat bucks. I am  hoping to reduce the friction to offset advancing age or operators.   Roller bearings offer promise but Harken tech said the winch doesn't care. He indicated customers like the Element blocks.  I am a fan of harken as they were a mandatory upgrade when I was racing Hobie 16s in the 70s  plus  the 35 year old Harken blocks on our boat remain excellent and free running. Can't say the same for the Shaefer original blocks now on the main.
Anyone used the new Element blocks?

Martin

Kokopellii
S34 ll

Frank Bunker - North Star 362

Edited

Like David, I replaced all the mainsheet blocks with ball bearing Garhauer blocks.  They work great and have made handling the main much easier. This is the second boat I've done this to and in both cases I'm very satisfied and the blocks have held up over time.  The winch may not care, but us getting older winch users do......  I also feel like the ball bearing blocks work better in light air as the sail is able to move with much less pressure on it instead of me having to push the boom outward as we fall off.

Frank
--
s/v North Star - 2003 362 - Lake Michigan

Dan Grossman

I replaced our main halyard mast base turning block with a Harken Element. No noticeable difference in friction in that application, and much higher safe working load than the Lewmar 60 (?) mm block that it replaced. For a main sheet, which is a multipart purchase and frequently adjusted, I'd prefer ball bearings.  But if Harken says that Element will work well in your case, who am I to argue?

On 12/2/2020 12:48 AM, Martin wrote:
Planning to replace the blocks on the mainsheet with  either Harken  Carbo or the new  and lower priced Harken Element. Significant difference in boat bucks. I am  hoping to reduce the friction to offset advancing age or operators.   Roller bearings offer promise but Harken tech said the winch doesn't care. He indicated customers like the Element blocks.  I am a fan of harken as they were a mandatory upgrade when I was racing Hobie 16s in the 70s  plus  the 35 year old Harken blocks on our boat remain excellent and free running. Can't say the same for the Shaefer original blocks now on the main.
Anyone used the new Element blocks?

Martin

Kokopellii
S34 ll

Martin

Thanks David, Frank and Dan,
I used Garhauer  for the jib car fairleads.  Have not been happy with them. The ball bearings seem to have a rough uneven turn to them. The 35 year old Harken blocks  on the vang and furler ratchet  are still smooth and free running..
Not sure how that translates to friction, but  I assume  its lower.
I would like Harken roller bearings but that means Black Magic which are really pricey.  So it's more a choice between ESP and  Element as I realized the carbos have too low a safe working load.

Martin

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

Surprised on the Genoa cars. Had them on two different boats and really like them

On Dec 2, 2020, at 6:34 PM, Martin <mnthomas46@...> wrote:

Thanks David, Frank and Dan,
I used Garhauer  for the jib car fairleads.  Have not been happy with them. The ball bearings seem to have a rough uneven turn to them. The 35 year old Harken blocks  on the vang and furler ratchet  are still smooth and free running..
Not sure how that translates to friction, but  I assume  its lower.
I would like Harken roller bearings but that means Black Magic which are really pricey.  So it's more a choice between ESP and  Element as I realized the carbos have too low a safe working load.

Martin

John Kalinowski

Sorry to hear that Martin.

Been using Garhauers for 3 years as fairleads without issue.

The adjustments are a bit rough which is hard on the hands as we are constantly adjusting them.

Not worth the hassle for the adjustable line system they sell.

My spinnaker turning blocks are pushing 20years  without an issue.

Look ugly every fall until I wash them out in fresh water.

For the mainsheet I use a Garhauer fiddle block setup along with a couple of their blocks to run sheet aft for past 15 years without an issue and we beat the snot out it every weekend racing.

From my days of racing catamarans, the Harken gear is good, but if you have the 6:1 triple blocks, the lines rub as the blocks twist and you loose all the effectiveness of ball bearings.

YMMV..

john

I used Garhauer  for the jib car fairleads.  Have not been happy with them. The ball bearings seem to have a rough uneven turn to them. The 35 year old Harken blocks  on the vang and furler ratchet  are still smooth and free running..
Not sure how that translates to friction, but  I assume  its lower.
I would like Harken roller bearings but that means Black Magic which are really pricey.  So it's more a choice between ESP and  Element as I realized the carbos have too low a safe working load.

Martin

Allison Lehman

Martin,
I’m with you, they are not my favorite blocks.

Allison Lehman
Swiftsure Yachts
allison@...
Cell: 510.912.5800