Double spreader standing rigging #sabre34MkII

Jeff Bartlett

With a typical double spreader rig, does the relative position of the upper shrouds at the spreader tips (front or back) matter?  I'm having new rigging installed, and looking at it tonight, the upper shrouds run through the front/forward slot at the spreader rig, while the intermediate shrouds runs through the back/aft slot.

I'm not a rigger, but I think that the geometry of mast prebend would want the uppers to be behind the intermediates at the spreaders.

Can anyone with a double spreader rig check how theirs are arranged?

Thanks,

Jeff B
S34 347

Darshan

Jeff, ours is arranged the same way - upper shroud in front, intermediate behind.

I am not sure if it makes a difference when you reverse them, will let more knowledgeable people answer that.

Darshan
34-2, #297
Manhasset Bay

On Sep 30, 2020, at 11:02 PM, Jeff Bartlett <Jhbartlett@...> wrote:

With a typical double spreader rig, does the relative position of the upper shrouds at the spreader tips (front or back) matter?  I'm having new rigging installed, and looking at it tonight, the upper shrouds run through the front/forward slot at the spreader rig, while the intermediate shrouds runs through the back/aft slot.

I'm not a rigger, but I think that the geometry of mast prebend would want the uppers to be behind the intermediates at the spreaders.

Can anyone with a double spreader rig check how theirs are arranged?

Thanks,

Jeff B
S34 347

David Lochner

The uppers go forward and the intermediates aft. If they are reversed shrouds will cross and not have a fair lead. On single spreader rigs deck stepped rigs,  like the S30, there are 2 sets of lower shrouds that aft prebend. The 34 and 362 and others have keel stepped rigs rake and prebend are set using blocks to move the mast foot forward or aft along with the chocks at the partners.

Peter Tollini

Jeff -
Ivar Dedekam's book, Sail and Rig Tuning,simplifies setting upland tuning the double spreader rig.It was a ray of light for me.
Pete

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 11:02 PM Jeff Bartlett <Jhbartlett@...> wrote:
With a typical double spreader rig, does the relative position of the upper shrouds at the spreader tips (front or back) matter?  I'm having new rigging installed, and looking at it tonight, the upper shrouds run through the front/forward slot at the spreader rig, while the intermediate shrouds runs through the back/aft slot.

I'm not a rigger, but I think that the geometry of mast prebend would want the uppers to be behind the intermediates at the spreaders.

Can anyone with a double spreader rig check how theirs are arranged?

Thanks,

Jeff B
S34 347

Tony Billera

Peter did you use a Loos gauge and do you have load setting from a Loos tension gauge for the 30-3?

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

On Oct 1, 2020, at 10:00 AM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony-
I'm not a big Loos fan.  I use a 2 metre stick and measure actual wire stretch,to preload as described by Dedekam, after first getting the rig straight.. BTW, the spar on your 30-3 is a noodle,dependent upon the stays to keep it straight.