81 Sabre 28 MK 2 where does the cooler drain to? #sabre34MkII

jlcarreiro@...

New owner of an 81 Sabre 28 and we see water always in the bilge.  It looks like fresh water.  I haven't tasted it yet.  Where does the galley sink and cooler drain into?
Someone said "check the stuffing box".  How does one do that or is a tech needed?

Stephanie

Not sure why your message added hashtag but you may be able to edit the subject. #34?

The sink drains to the seacocks under the sink,  the fridge may have a separate Drain check the exit to the sink.

look for prior threads about repacking the stuffing and drip rates. There should be some drips 2-7 a minute.  The stuffing box was visible with removal of the port side panel Toward midship in the quarter berth.  However after 5 years of searching the majority was from the small scupper tubes which should be checked and caulked (one of the few spots for 3M 5100) and the toe rail may also let in water which may leave evidence on the hull.  No easy way to seal the “bath tub” but some have tried.  The jib track outboard on top of those rails makes a lot of force which allows the butyl Which is between the hull and the deck joint to move around after 40 years. You may have some success with tightening each but on the rail.

congrats,  Good Luck and welcome!  Others will be able to add to these ideas!
--
Stephanie
Moderator

Sabre 36, #67
Sabre 28-2, #289
Wilson Harbor, NY Lake Ontario

Roland Montas

Hi,

I am the proud owner of S28. The main culprit in the bilge is the anchor locker in the front. It allows for rain water to seep in and the bottom drain goes to the bilge. I also had to replace scuppers in the cockpit. When they go bad, they will flood the bilge.
You also need to be in the boat during a rain storm in order to evaluate seepage from ports. They usually allow sneaky amount of water on the cushions. That’ s why the cushions get wet.
You may also look closely at the deck scuppers as they may allow water to get into the hull.

On Aug 26, 2020, at 4:23 PM, jlcarreiro via groups.io <jlcarreiro@...> wrote:

New owner of an 81 Sabre 28 and we see water always in the bilge.  It looks like fresh water.  I haven't tasted it yet.  Where does the galley sink and cooler drain into?
Someone said "check the stuffing box".  How does one do that or is a tech needed?

Len Bertaux

Welcome new Sabre owner!

You’ll find the stuffing box where the prop shaft comes through the hull on the inside of your boat, behind the engine. Its a bronze fitting, with the prop facing side clamped to the boat fiberglass with a rubber hose. On the engine side you’ll see the shaft come through. The stuffing box is a two part assembly, threaded together and has inside a thick rope (called packing) traditionally made up from flax and wax. The packing, aka the stuffing, is compressed around the prop shaft by tightening the two parts together. This provides a water-tight seal that still permits the prop shaft to turn. It should be tuned to allow a few drops of water to weep through every minute or so or enough that the bronze stuffing box doesn’t get hot to the touch. Hope that long winded description helps you. I know that this is all new but you’ll become an expert in no time>

Regards
Len Bertaux
Walkabout

On Aug 26, 2020, at 4:23 PM, jlcarreiro via groups.io <jlcarreiro@...> wrote:

New owner of an 81 Sabre 28 and we see water always in the bilge.  It looks like fresh water.  I haven't tasted it yet.  Where does the galley sink and cooler drain into?
Someone said "check the stuffing box".  How does one do that or is a tech needed?

Fiddlers Green

On our 28 we have a hand pump that is under the sink. It pumps into the sink drain.
Good luck

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 4:23 PM jlcarreiro via groups.io <jlcarreiro=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
New owner of an 81 Sabre 28 and we see water always in the bilge.  It looks like fresh water.  I haven't tasted it yet.  Where does the galley sink and cooler drain into?
Someone said "check the stuffing box".  How does one do that or is a tech needed?

Peter Ogilvie

The leak is probably fresh water from the anchor locker .   The match is not water tight and lets water in when you wash down the deck or it rains.  If the large fixed ports are leaking, get a repair kit from Catalina Direct.  Catalina used the same extrususion for their ports.  The kit has new rubber seals, a tube of Dow 895 sillycone sealant and one of 4200.   Worked a charm to seal my single window boat that had been dripping on my head since I bought it.  Have someone help you to do the install as it needs at least three hands to do.

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:38, Len Bertaux <lbertaux@...> wrote:

[...]

PIOTR SERWIK

In our case the icebox drained to the bilge until the PO installed a water pump that now drains into the sink. Be aware that the keel bolts may leak a little and it's "normal." You are supposed to apply a silicone seal to the joint of keel and hull every spring. Also, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the chainplates do no leak at the deck fitting. If they do, fix IMMEDIATELY, or you will be replacing bulkheads soon. Finally, our toe rail leaks like a sieve. It's a really bad design where the rubber seal catches all of the water,  which then leaks through the screw holes inside.

Jack Tracy

Doug,
How are you? I'm trying to keep my new (1987) Sabre 36 in the water till the end of October. Do you think you, Christan and Sam might come out for a sail before we put it on the hard?
Jack Tracy