Separation On Hull Above Rudder #sabre34MkII


Michael Sims
 
Edited

Has any of our members run into the same problem that I am having on the hull of my 1986 Sabre 34 MK II.

This crack is directly above my rudder. I am assuming that this separation from the hull is just fairing material of some type. Also there is no up and down play on the rudder.  I can also see that the rudder nylon bearing appears to be stationery yet. What material should I use to repair this crack? Do I need to remove the rudder to complete this repair. How would you handle this repair?

Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre 34 MK II
York River, VA


Len Bertaux
 

No. That is the lower rudder bearing, it attaches to the hull with 4 small screws. To repair it properly the rudder must be dropped.

Len Bertaux

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:12 PM, Michael Sims via groups.io <sailsabre34@...> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

Has any of our members run into the same problem that I am having on the hull of my 1986 Sabre 34 MK II.

This crack is directly above my rudder. I am assuming that this separation from the hull is just fairing material of some type. Also there is no up and down play on the rudder.  I can also see that the rudder nylon bearing appears to be stationery yet. What material should I use to repair this crack? Do I need to remove the rudder to complete this repair. How would you handle this repair?
<fullsizeoutput_7255.jpeg>
<fullsizeoutput_7254.jpeg>

Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre 34 MK II
York River, VA


Darshan
 

Mike, this is how it looks on my 34II. The photo was taken last Nov after winter haul out, I don’t have recent photo.  


-Darshan 

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:18 PM, Len Bertaux <lbertaux@...> wrote:

No. That is the lower rudder bearing, it attaches to the hull with 4 small screws. To repair it properly the rudder must be dropped.

Len Bertaux

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:12 PM, Michael Sims via groups.io <sailsabre34@...> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

Has any of our members run into the same problem that I am having on the hull of my 1986 Sabre 34 MK II.

This crack is directly above my rudder. I am assuming that this separation from the hull is just fairing material of some type. Also there is no up and down play on the rudder.  I can also see that the rudder nylon bearing appears to be stationery yet. What material should I use to repair this crack? Do I need to remove the rudder to complete this repair. How would you handle this repair?
<fullsizeoutput_7255.jpeg>
<fullsizeoutput_7254.jpeg>

Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre 34 MK II
York River, VA


Michael Sims
 

Len, 
Thanks! But do you know if the shape was formed by some sort of fairing epoxy? Should I just cut the separated piece off?
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA


Michael Sims
 

Darshan, 
Actually your pictures might have confirmed that I am looking at just fairing material. In your pictures,  I can see your rudder nylon bearing and then your stainless steel rudder stock.  I never saw that much rudder stock on my boat. What year is your boat? Maybe they eliminated the fairing material on your boat or added it to my boat. 
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA


Darshan
 

Here’s another photo I found from the same time, you can’t see the rudder stock in this one, I took it to document the gap between the hull and rudder. 

Boat is from 1987. 


-Darshan 

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:38 PM, Michael Sims via groups.io <sailsabre34@...> wrote:

Darshan, 
Actually your pictures might have confirmed that I am looking at just fairing material. In your pictures,  I can see your rudder nylon bearing and then your stainless steel rudder stock.  I never saw that much rudder stock on my boat. What year is your boat? Maybe they eliminated the fairing material on your boat or added it to my boat. 
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA


Len Bertaux
 

When the rudder is dropped you can reattach the bezel to the hull, then refair with your favorite material. Don’t cut off the bezel! It’s not a structural issue at all. My rudder looked similar to yours, I don’t have access to my photos here on the iPad or I would send one. 

Len Bertaux

On Jun 28, 2020, at 8:25 PM, Michael Sims via groups.io <sailsabre34@...> wrote:

Len, 
Thanks! But do you know if the shape was formed by some sort of fairing epoxy? Should I just cut the separated piece off?
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA


Michael Sims
 


Thanks Len, I will have to definitely look at it very closely. 
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA


Stephanie
 

Mike,  the rudder drawing is somewhat hard to decipher but here is a description,  it is a lower rudder bushing with an outside flange which should not be separate but often does apparently.   Peter Fein sent the text of the email from Glen Chapin that repair should be made with 5200 and 3 # 6- 1 1/2 inch Screws.  

Two weeks ago tomorrow I thought we would be putting back in the rudder which had been dropped about 9” with 1” screws because that was what was removed and the rudder post was essentially dropped as low as we could without leaving the hull then using a flexible bit as Peter was able to do.  I had Re faired the bottom “flange” of the bushing and it seemed like it would work, we installed,  calculated a best angle and installed per the plan.  I was in the lazarette and 3 strong people with a car jack and some railroad tie blocks were below.  It failed!  We dropped the rudder completely - I calculated needing 23 inches and I had just at 24, so we scraped away the rocks, dropped it completely and reinstalled with a better angle for the screws and the 1 1/2 inch length.  I taped the shaft and cleaned around the edges with my favorite adhesive remover.  And all seemed very firm on replacement. I was advised to add the adhesive and install right away to insure the rudder bushing went the right direction. While it is out - have 400 plus grit wet dry paper and cleaner with appropriate rags and marine grease for the reinstall.  I Cleaned the shaft and the tube while it was out. I did not have any fairing and the full bushing went flush with the hull when complete. 



Stephanie
Arista, S36 #67, Lake Ontario 
Shburgess1207@... 

On Jun 28, 2020, at 21:12, Michael Sims via groups.io <sailsabre34@...> wrote:


Thanks Len, I will have to definitely look at it very closely. 
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA

--
Stephanie
Moderator

Sabre 36, #67
Sabre 28-2, #289
Wilson Harbor, NY Lake Ontario


Michael Sims
 

Stephanie, 
Very Good Information To Know.
Thanks.
Mike 
Moderator 
Altomar II
1986 Sabre34 MK II
York River, VA