loose steering cable #sabre34MkII #steering

Darshan

Hi, while servicing the cockpit drain seacocks and filling rudder grease cups I noticed that the starboard cable on the radial drive wheel is loose compared to the port one. To tighten it do I just tighten the nut holding the cable underneath the wheel? How much do I tighten?

Also, which oil should I apply on the cables? (There was a discussion here about this a little while ago but I can't seem to find the post).

Thanks.

Darshan
34II #297
Manhasset Bay

David Lochner

The cable should be snug with very little play. Any play in the cable will result in sloppy steering.

The cable is (or should be) attached to an eyebolt that goes through the steering quadrant. The eyebolt will be double nutted to keep it from unscrewing. I believe it is a ½” nut, a deep ½” socket is helpful.

Center the rudder and check out the steering wheel alignment. There should be 1 spoke that is vertical. If it is off, then both cables need to be loosened and retightened equally so the wheel remains centered.

30 wt motor oil works fine.

The maintenance and installation guides can be downloaded here:  https://edsonmarine.com/product-tech-support-manuals-guides-and-maintenance-sheets/

Dave
Second Star
S362 #113
Fair Haven, NY/Lake Ontario

On Jun 9, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Darshan <dptypes@...> wrote:

Hi, while servicing the cockpit drain seacocks and filling rudder grease cups I noticed that the starboard cable on the radial drive wheel is loose compared to the port one. To tighten it do I just tighten the nut holding the cable underneath the wheel? How much do I tighten?

Also, which oil should I apply on the cables? (There was a discussion here about this a little while ago but I can't seem to find the post).

Thanks.

Darshan
34II #297
Manhasset Bay

Harry Keith

A detail my surveyor called out on my 34-I was nuts on BOTH sides of the attachment hole -- a no-no.  Double nut, as Dave points, but both on the bitter end.  The eye bolt should not "clamp" the radial wheel, it should be free to flop around.  If it clamps, then it is rigid and can fatigue.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 2:14 PM David Lochner via groups.io <davelochner=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

dmcclay@...

The eye bolt flopping around doesn’t sound correct.  I think rigid would be less likely to fatigue.

David McClay
S34 Everwind
Northport, NY

--
David McClay
Northport, NY

Harry Keith

Maybe I didn't express it clearly. It doesn't actually flop around, because the wire is tight. The issue is that if is firmly pinned, the load can be off center, and can stress it and then relax it.

Somewhat similar to the problems with using a swivel on an anchor.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020, 4:42 PM <dmcclay@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Starkey

The Edson Pedestal Steerer Installation instructions call for both nuts to be on the same side and tightened together: https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

On 6/9/2020 5:12 PM, Harry Keith wrote:
[...]

Thanks all, the 2 bolts are on together on 1 side. I will tighten and lubricate the cables tomorrow.

Darshan