Sabre 362 Fuel Tanks? #362Sabre #Sabre362

Capt. A Ground

Hi,
I have seen several posts regarding replacing fuel tanks on Sabre 362s.  I am the owner of one (1998) and I have a few questions.  I assume the tanks needed to be replaced because they started leaking.  If so where should I be looking for diesel?  How many boats have been affected?
Thanks!
Ted
S/V Blue Pearl II

Peter Tollini

Ted
Diesel will show up in the bilge. You will smell it immediately.
Aluminum tanks are durable, but they are subject to corrosion when moisture is trapped against them with no oxygen.
On Sabres, that is usually the rubber strips the tank sits on.  Water inside the tank is another suspect.  Tank manufacturers have now taken to coating aluminum tanks exteriors with coal tar epoxy for additional protection.
Your best protection is keeping tanks dry on both the outside and inside.

Pete

On Jun 7, 2020, at 5:57 PM, Capt. A Ground <eddymayhem@...> wrote:

Hi,
I have seen several posts regarding replacing fuel tanks on Sabre 362s.  I am the owner of one (1998) and I have a few questions.  I assume the tanks needed to be replaced because they started leaking.  If so where should I be looking for diesel?  How many boats have been affected?
Thanks!
Ted
S/V Blue Pearl II

Capt. A Ground

Peter,
Thank you for responding.
Ted

Alan

Ted,

My 34 fuel tank sprung a small drip/leak a few years ago.  Unlike the 362 the tank on the 34 sits on a wood/glassed in platform.  The bottom of the tank is exposed as the wood platform is not a solid shelf.

Pete is right.  You'll smell it and you'll see it in the bilge.

Once I got my tank out, it appeared that the hole was in the center of the tank (at what eventually became the lowest point) where we think water must have accumulated over 28 years and corroded so badly it started to leak.

I was relatively easy to pull it out.  I took it to a metals guy I know in Gulfport, FL  He builds a lot of replacement Island Packet chainplates and tanks.  He fabricated a heavier gauge aluminum tank with all of the dimensions/fitting locations exactly as the old tank was.  It was literally "plug and play".

I think the tank cost about $500 and it cost me another $250 to hire the skinny kid to help me get it back in and glassed back to the wooden platform.

Sure is a lot easier on a Sabre than on other builders that have the tanks beneath the floors;  Endeavour/Irwin/Island Packet and others.
---
Alan Pressman
Phone; 941-350-1559
Toll Free Fax; 855-416-0185