Hanging blinds for Sabre 362 #362Sabre

Michelle Bamberger, Elixir, '95 Sabre 362, #135

Hello Everyone,

We recently changed out our fixed port lights using the method and parts as supplied by Glen at Sabre. The light now illuminates the cabin, but it quickly became apparent that we need to hang the blinds that came with our boat in at least the head and the shower. The problem is that the elastic loops have lost their elasticity.

Replacing the elastic doesn't look like it will be an easy fix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Michelle and Robert
Elixir, '95 Sabre 362

Allison Lehman

I refurbished mine by taking them off. I bought thin elastic and then  opened the areas where the elastic was with a seam ripper and the sewed in the replacements.  Be sure you make the snug enough so the stay in place one deployed.

Allison Lehman
Swiftsure Yachts
allison@...
Cell: 510.912.5800
Fax: 510.860.4640

On May 27, 2020, at 1:46 PM, Michelle Bamberger <mjb57@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

We recently changed out our fixed port lights using the method and parts as supplied by Glen at Sabre. The light now illuminates the cabin, but it quickly became apparent that we need to hang the blinds that came with our boat in at least the head and the shower. The problem is that the elastic loops have lost their elasticity.

Replacing the elastic doesn't look like it will be an easy fix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Michelle and Robert
Elixir, '95 Sabre 362

Jamie Wylly

I did the same and bought the elastic loops from  www.portshades.com . Portshades has exact replacement shades for Sabre and sells the elastic loops as well. It would have been $660 to replace the shades on our 426 and since they are in good condition and only the elastic loops needed replacing, I chose to replace those.

As Allison points out, remove the seam to replace the loops, then sew over them a few times to lock them in. It’s a little tedious but not hard; the hardest part was removing the seams.

Jamie Wylly

SV Northern Star

Seattle

[...]

Jamie you are genius!  the original manufacturer was Bristol shades.  When I went to the site you referenced I realized this is the Bristol Shades people!  Thank you.  I needed some parts.

Allison Lehman
Swiftsure Yachts
allison@...
Cell: 510.912.5800
Fax: 510.860.4640

On May 27, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Jamie Wylly <jrwylly@...> wrote:

I did the same and bought the elastic loops from  www.portshades.com . Portshades has exact replacement shades for Sabre and sells the elastic loops as well. It would have been $660 to replace the shades on our 426 and since they are in good condition and only the elastic loops needed replacing, I chose to replace those.

As Allison points out, remove the seam to replace the loops, then sew over them a few times to lock them in. It’s a little tedious but not hard; the hardest part was removing the seams.

<6EBF443997A5419E97592B8CB79CD015.png><0E282A57372A429595FC592C0E5F263F.png>

Jamie Wylly
SV Northern Star
Seattle

[...]

<65FAADA8E037420AB53E4E9BFFE2D24C.png>

Michelle Bamberger, Elixir, '95 Sabre 362, #135

Jamie and Allison,

Thanks much for the advice--I'll give it a go!

Michelle

Michelle Bamberger, MS DVM

But still try, for who knows what is possible.
Michael Faraday

~~~~~~~~

John

I made my own shades for the port lights in our S34 MKII.
Cost was about $20 and it took me about an hour.
I purchased a sheet of white corrugated plastic at home depot, and cut pieces to create a friction fit in the port light opening. They have white tape tabs on the bottom that allow us to pull on them for removal. I made paper templates to get the size right. They need to be tight enough to not fall out, and loose enough that they easily pull out from the bottom.
They store easily on one of the shelves in our galley, and we prefer the clean look of no shades when they are not in use.

Hope this helps

John

S34 MKII