Topics

Base of mast protection

A friend of mine pulled his mast, found some corrosion at the base of the mast which he throughly cleaned, but before stepping the mast, is there a protective coating of anything that he would be advised to apply to the base of the mast? And if so, what would it be?
Thanks,

Jay Flynn
Elizabeth Belle

Harry Keith

I primed mine with Rustoleum Zinc Chromate (the real stuff, from decades ago, not been able to find it now) followed by Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel -- this is an oil base paint, which is also getting hard to find, that they tinted to my mast color (I wasn't able to find any other source for a tintable oil base -- Home Depot etc had nothing).  That was in 2013, and it looked good when the new owner took the boat last week.

Along those lines, I also used that same process on my Volvo, and was VERY happy with the results.  Anything that came off the engine went back on with a fresh paint job, and it held up very well.

Lacking the Zinc Chromate, I'd use any oil base metal primer.  Better than nothing!

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 4:03 PM Jay Flynn via Groups.Io <Popgrowl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A friend of mine pulled his mast, found some corrosion at the base of the mast which he throughly cleaned, but before stepping the mast, is there a protective coating of anything that he would be advised to apply to the base of the mast? And if so, what would it be?
Thanks,

Jay Flynn
Elizabeth Belle

Allison Lehman

A gold coin!

Allison Lehman
Yachtfinders/Windseakers
510 912-5800 cell
510 860-4640 fax

Please consider the environment before printing this email

On Feb 28, 2020, at 1:03 PM, Jay Flynn via Groups.Io <Popgrowl@...> wrote:

A friend of mine pulled his mast, found some corrosion at the base of the mast which he throughly cleaned, but before stepping the mast, is there a protective coating of anything that he would be advised to apply to the base of the mast? And if so, what would it be?
Thanks,

Jay Flynn
Elizabeth Belle

David Short, SV One Timer, 1997 362, Mt Desert, ME

there are specific aluminum primers
I used Moeller 025802 Green Zinc Phosphate Primer last year on a dinghy dolly.  Higher solids than Rustoleum product
Very specific cleaning & prep instructions

--

Dave Short

dhs.short@...

Terry

While we are talking about mast base issues, I assume the rust was as a result of water sitting at the base of the mast. The same issue that causes the sole to rot around the base of the mast.
There is a weep hole in the cast base that hold the mast in place which drains into the bilge. Has anyone enlarged that hole or done anything to enable the water to drain away better?

Terry

Allison Lehman

Terry is e did 2 things on our 362.  First off we took a coat hanger and cleared he limber hole from the bulge to the hole in the mast step.  It took time but we finally got thru.  Secondly so as to never have a water problem in the SS base where the mast sits, we took a paper towel. And twisted it and put one end into the base and the other end draining into the bilge.  We kept the forward bulge cover off to do this.  We never had standing water again.

Allison Lehman
Yachtfinders/Windseakers
510 912-5800 cell
510 860-4640 fax
allisonleh@...

On Feb 29, 2020, at 7:05 AM, Terry <webonomist@...> wrote:

While we are talking about mast base issues, I assume the rust was as a result of water sitting at the base of the mast. The same issue that causes the sole to rot around the base of the mast.
There is a weep hole in the cast base that hold the mast in place which drains into the bilge. Has anyone enlarged that hole or done anything to enable the water to drain away better?

Terry

Steve Zambroski

You need to isolate the mast from the step. My rigger used g10 cut to size on the bottom and heavy gauge tape on the sides of the step.

Thanks

Steve