Topics

Mast step

Barry

The boat is on the hard and the mast is down so with much trepidation,
I took the mast step off. The glass underneath is hard as a rock with
no signs of water intrusion, rot, locusts or other ailments I was
suspecting.

However, the step itself looks like a 28 year old piece of aluminum
that has lived near a bilge all its life. So, what is the best way to
repaint it or should I just bolt it back on?

Thanks,

Barry
Tribute
S34 #33

workshoe99

Barry,

I just took a wire brush and gave it a good polishing then painted it
with Petit Easypoxy which was the same paint I was using to paint the
mast while it was out. While my step sounded hard when tapped with a
hammer, my surveyor later pointed out a bulge in the side towards the
rear which he thought was suspicious. I don't want to think about what
might be going on in there and will deal with it when it becomes or if
it becomes a problem.

Jan

Jim Starkey <jas@...>

workshoe99 wrote:
Barry,

I just took a wire brush and gave it a good polishing then painted it
with Petit Easypoxy which was the same paint I was using to paint the
mast while it was out. While my step sounded hard when tapped with a
hammer, my surveyor later pointed out a bulge in the side towards the
rear which he thought was suspicious. I don't want to think about what
might be going on in there and will deal with it when it becomes or if
it becomes a problem.

Yup, that's it. The first sign is deformation of the aluminum plate. That and sole vanish that was beginning to discolor were the only symptoms on my boat. The box otherwise looked fine. It wasn't. It had rotted from the inside and took a good part of the main bulkhead with it.

If there's any question, I think test borings are the only solution. If a boring near your bulge comes up dry, you're probably OK. If it comes up wet, you have to decide how long you want your main bulkhead to rot before you do something about it.

Another local 36 of the same vintage and sailing history as my boat had test borings done last year and came out completely clean. Three others in our club (including mine) have been fixed. So there's hope.

jonathan.myers@...

Hi Barry:
    I see Jim Starkey weighed in with a couple observations from one who has been down the road and mentioned cabin sole finish as an indicator.
    Have you scoped out your sole in the mast base area?  Mine has been damp, upon occasion, which leads me to believe that in the next year or so I'll be having the stick pulled at haul-out time, to do some further investigation.
    At that time I'll have to be ready to do something about the water path which, as it looks to me, is down the mast and then dispersed across the top of the step.  Some, I suppose, finds its way to the bilge, but there's an awful lot of opportunity for the sole's end grain to sop it up.
    Have you thought about the test boring Jim mentions?
    Thanks.
Jon
S34 MkI #094
Melusine