Date   
Loaded Dipole

Donald Hellen
 

Someone at the hamfest set up a table with some interesting things.
Specifically, one looked like a loaded or trap dipole.

I just wondered what bands it was for?

I'll be there tomorrow to find out but if it's a shortened 160M
dipole, I might be interested. I don't think there was enough wire for
160M but I thought I'd ask. If I don't hear anything this evening I'll
just ask tomorrow.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Re: Hamfest question

Donald Hellen
 

Thanks. I might just come in early Saturday. We'll see if I'll be needed after 7 pm tomorrow first. I might be free then. 

On October 3, 2019 12:06:50 PM "Emmitt via Groups.Io" <hal6868@...> wrote:

Not sure how long it will take to setup tomorrow night. You can call me to see if we are still there tomorrow around 6:45 and we should know how much longer we will be. 
Plan to open around 7:15 Saturday morning. Starts at 8am.

Emmitt 
513-504-2318
KD8WJB


On Oct 3, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Donald Hellen <donhellen@...> wrote:

I just found out I can't make it at 6 tomorrow. How late will someone be there? 

I'm tied up until at least 7 pm. 

I might also ask how early club members can get in tomorrow if I have to set up my for sale items Saturday morning? 

Don

Re: Hamfest question

Emmitt
 

Not sure how long it will take to setup tomorrow night. You can call me to see if we are still there tomorrow around 6:45 and we should know how much longer we will be. 
Plan to open around 7:15 Saturday morning. Starts at 8am.

Emmitt 
513-504-2318
KD8WJB


On Oct 3, 2019, at 11:41 AM, Donald Hellen <donhellen@...> wrote:

I just found out I can't make it at 6 tomorrow. How late will someone be there? 

I'm tied up until at least 7 pm. 

I might also ask how early club members can get in tomorrow if I have to set up my for sale items Saturday morning? 

Don

Re: Hamfest question

Donald Hellen
 

I just found out I can't make it at 6 tomorrow. How late will someone be there? 

I'm tied up until at least 7 pm. 

I might also ask how early club members can get in tomorrow if I have to set up my for sale items Saturday morning? 

Don

Re: Hamfest question

John Hartmus II
 

Correction, I meant to say Friday evening. 

John
WB8GRX

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 6:02 AM John Hartmus II via Groups.Io <jhartmusii=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I can’t be there this evening to set up for the test session.  I have been contacted by three people so far who plan to take tests, so I won’t be able to use the office area that we used last year.  I assume that we can use the back room, unless there is a better option…

 

Thanks,

John

WB8GRX

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Donald Hellen
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:31 PM
To: SVARC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SVARC] Hamfest question

 

I'll try to be there at 6 Friday.

 

Might get to see some things a bit early too.

 

Donald

 

 

 

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 02:26:47 +0000, "Michael Mathuews"

<mathuews@...> wrote:

 

>Jesse has had some people reserve tables already. We have at least one table for the club. Jim Boyce has a table, but doesn't have much to sell. The club may use share part of his table. We will know more when we set up Friday night. You might check with Jesse to see what is available.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

 

Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion

group on Groups.io:

https://groups.io/g/ICOM  (recently launched, growing slowly)

**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:

https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

 

 

 

 

 


Virus-free. www.avast.com

Re: Hamfest question

John Hartmus II
 

I can’t be there this evening to set up for the test session.  I have been contacted by three people so far who plan to take tests, so I won’t be able to use the office area that we used last year.  I assume that we can use the back room, unless there is a better option…

 

Thanks,

John

WB8GRX

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Donald Hellen
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:31 PM
To: SVARC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SVARC] Hamfest question

 

I'll try to be there at 6 Friday.

 

Might get to see some things a bit early too.

 

Donald

 

 

 

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 02:26:47 +0000, "Michael Mathuews"

<mathuews@...> wrote:

 

>Jesse has had some people reserve tables already. We have at least one table for the club. Jim Boyce has a table, but doesn't have much to sell. The club may use share part of his table. We will know more when we set up Friday night. You might check with Jesse to see what is available.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

 

Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion

group on Groups.io:

https://groups.io/g/ICOM  (recently launched, growing slowly)

**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:

https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

 

 

 

 

 


Virus-free. www.avast.com

Re: Hamfest question

Donald Hellen
 

I'll try to be there at 6 Friday.

Might get to see some things a bit early too.

Donald



On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 02:26:47 +0000, "Michael Mathuews"
<mathuews@...> wrote:

Jesse has had some people reserve tables already. We have at least one table for the club. Jim Boyce has a table, but doesn't have much to sell. The club may use share part of his table. We will know more when we set up Friday night. You might check with Jesse to see what is available.

----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Re: Hamfest question

Michael Mathuews
 

Jesse has had some people reserve tables already. We have at least one table for the club. Jim Boyce has a table, but doesn't have much to sell. The club may use share part of his table. We will know more when we set up Friday night. You might check with Jesse to see what is available.


From: SVARC@groups.io <SVARC@groups.io> on behalf of Donald Hellen <donhellen@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:55 PM
To: SVARC@groups.io <SVARC@groups.io>
Subject: [SVARC] Hamfest question
 
Do I understand that we can set up a table Friday evening? Or am I
mistaken? If mistaken, how early can I get there to set up on
Saturday? Do we need people there much earlier than 8 AM to help get
things ready?

If we can, since I have two transceivers, a non-working PS,some Ten
Tec accessories, and maybe a (working) power supply to sell there,
could I have a separate table next to or near the club table so
whoever is at the club table can answer questions while I'm helping
with ticket sales or browsing the flea market?

I gave up on the Ten Tec XCVR but it's probably a PS issue since it
doesn't even light up the LED indicators (it's not the fuse or
switch). Someone will just pay less and have the pleasure of fixing
it. Or I will if it doesn't sell Saturday. Then I might keep it as a
backup rig or a temporary loaner for new ones coming into the hobby
locally.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM  (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)





Re: Hamfest question

Emmitt
 

We will setup Friday at six. I will be there Saturday at 7:15 to open up.

Emmitt
KD8WJB

On Oct 2, 2019, at 8:55 PM, Donald Hellen <donhellen@...> wrote:

Do I understand that we can set up a table Friday evening? Or am I
mistaken? If mistaken, how early can I get there to set up on
Saturday? Do we need people there much earlier than 8 AM to help get
things ready?

If we can, since I have two transceivers, a non-working PS,some Ten
Tec accessories, and maybe a (working) power supply to sell there,
could I have a separate table next to or near the club table so
whoever is at the club table can answer questions while I'm helping
with ticket sales or browsing the flea market?

I gave up on the Ten Tec XCVR but it's probably a PS issue since it
doesn't even light up the LED indicators (it's not the fuse or
switch). Someone will just pay less and have the pleasure of fixing
it. Or I will if it doesn't sell Saturday. Then I might keep it as a
backup rig or a temporary loaner for new ones coming into the hobby
locally.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)




Hamfest question

Donald Hellen
 

Do I understand that we can set up a table Friday evening? Or am I
mistaken? If mistaken, how early can I get there to set up on
Saturday? Do we need people there much earlier than 8 AM to help get
things ready?

If we can, since I have two transceivers, a non-working PS,some Ten
Tec accessories, and maybe a (working) power supply to sell there,
could I have a separate table next to or near the club table so
whoever is at the club table can answer questions while I'm helping
with ticket sales or browsing the flea market?

I gave up on the Ten Tec XCVR but it's probably a PS issue since it
doesn't even light up the LED indicators (it's not the fuse or
switch). Someone will just pay less and have the pleasure of fixing
it. Or I will if it doesn't sell Saturday. Then I might keep it as a
backup rig or a temporary loaner for new ones coming into the hobby
locally.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Re: Hamfest Help

Donald Hellen
 

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 00:13:21 +0000, "Michael Mathuews"
<mathuews@...> wrote:

We could use some help with selling tickets at the door during the Hamfest. Ticket sales start at 8am.

I plan on being there. I can probably help around 9:30 AM for 1/2 hour
to an hour. If everyone spent 1/2 hour helping we should have plenty
of help, but I might be able to help longer if needed.

I also will be bringing a working Icom 746 Pro for sale and a
non-working Ten Tec Triton IV with power supply. It will be sold as
non-working with some accessories, a mic and a Ten Tec CW keyer, which
should make it worth more as a bundle, even if the PS and maybe the
rig needs attention. The PS isn't powering up and I can't locate the
problem. They used a strange method of integrating the PS with the
transceiver to make it hard to use an external non-branded supply (but
I tried anyway). If I can't sell it there, I'll wait until I have
more time and will repair it then sell it for more. The 746 Pro is in
great working condition. I may have an Astron RM-35 for sale also
since I have two working here and also have an RS-70 that I use. I
don't think I need 3 power supplies.

I'll leave it on the club table so I can look around and also help
out, and put some time in at the ticket table. Since there's no table
fee I'll just donate to the club if I make a sale.

I would just like to have a little time to look around to spot any
bargains the first hour or so, then a little time before it ends to
see if there are any bargains to be had before people pack up to go
home. Prices drop sometimes before the end.

I don't see anything getting in the way of plans for Saturday morning.
I just need to remember to set the alarm the night before as I often
sleep in on Saturdays! :-)


Donald Hellen




----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Hamfest Help

Michael Mathuews
 

We could use some help with selling tickets at the door during the Hamfest. Ticket sales start at 8am.

if we ever have an amateur radio demo set up for the public . . .

Donald Hellen
 

This might be a useful handout to give away to those who seem
interested:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/files/pdfs/DIY%20Flyer.pdf

I ran across it while searching for something else on the ARRL site.

You can email it to someone from this page:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Do-It-Yourself-flyer-pack-of-25

Apparently, you can put these in your shopping cart, up to 4 packs of
25 each, when you buy something from their web store. I think they're
free but not sure.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

GPS7100 GPS receiver for Icom 7100 still available

Donald Hellen
 

I ordered one of these, and there are some more available in this ebay
listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-receiver-for-Icom-IC-7100-IC-9100-Ham-Amateur-Radio-GPS7100-module/202750873495

It will also work with the 9100. It appears to do the same thing as
the one built into the 5100 for use with Dstar. With shipping to the
US it's $55.


I only ordered it for possible Dstar use, but there may be other uses.
It was one of the accessories no longer generally available in the US
market, so this one comes from Bulgaria.

Mine is on its way but could have been here sooner if it were shipped
back when I bought it in August, but the ebay listing did say that it
would take several weeks to arrive, so the seller may just make a
monthly trip to their post office to ship these. But mine arrived in a
Chicago UPS terminal yesterday so it should only be a few more days.
Fortunately, I don't need it right now as I'm trying to get used to
the menus before trying it out as a mobile rig. I not only wanted to
mention that this was still available, but also to expect some delay
in getting it to your home.

Donald
AD8DY


----------------------------------------------------


Join the Icom group, a general Icom (amateur radio) discussion
group on Groups.io:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM (recently launched, growing slowly)
**also, a new self-help group dedicated to your cat's health:
https://groups.io/g/CatVet (just launched)

Re: Repairs to clubhouse.

John Hartmus II
 

I remember this work being discussed earlier, but I don't remember any mention of there being any guarantee that this work will actually fix the problems with the roof, or any warranty on how long these repairs will last.  Can anyone provide this information before the club invests $2300, or more, on this work?

Thanks, 
John Hartmus II
WB8GRX
SVARC Trustee

On Sep 25, 2019 8:33 PM, Michael Mathuews <mathuews@...> wrote:
The Scioto Valley Amateur Radio Club has a young man that will fix the much needed problem with our leaking roof at the clubhouse. Labor estimate about 1200 dollars. The contract that we voted on at the last club meeting did not include the materials. The materials would be around 1100 dollars. Hopefully we will make a few dollars at the Hamfest on Oct. 5. The Vice-President of the club said he would donate $100 to the cause. I will match that amount. Anyone else that could add to that would determine whether we can start this much needed project this year while the weather is good or wait until next year.

We have about 900 dollars that was donated by members of the club, so far.


Repairs to clubhouse.

Michael Mathuews
 

The Scioto Valley Amateur Radio Club has a young man that will fix the much needed problem with our leaking roof at the clubhouse. Labor estimate about 1200 dollars. The contract that we voted on at the last club meeting did not include the materials. The materials would be around 1100 dollars. Hopefully we will make a few dollars at the Hamfest on Oct. 5. The Vice-President of the club said he would donate $100 to the cause. I will match that amount. Anyone else that could add to that would determine whether we can start this much needed project this year while the weather is good or wait until next year.

We have about 900 dollars that was donated by members of the club, so far.

Scioto Valley Amateur Radio Club | September 2019 Meeting Minutes

David Coffey
 

Scioto Valley Amateur Radio Club   (SVARC)

Meeting Minutes - September 2019

 

The September meeting was called to order by Vice President Phil Short, KB8SDC at 7:00 PM with Dwight Kelly leading the Pledge of Allegiance.  This months meeting location was the SVARC Club House located in Scioto Trails.

 

Number of Attendees: 10

 

Treasure’s Report  (Mike Mathuews) :

-          Paid –

o   $47.47 - August Electric

o   $37.37 - September Electric

-          Current club balance –

o   $3,815.34

 

September activities:

-          SVARC Monthly Breakfast (2nd Saturday of each month) was held at Frisch’s restaurant in Chillicothe OH on September 14th with 6 members attending.

-          We had a great time at breakfast, lasted about 2 hours with the parking lot chit-chat afterwards.  Please consider joining the fun in October.  We have it slated for Frisch’s again, but the location is negotiable.

 

Old / Ongoing Business:

-          Scioto Trail Club-  Discussion of repairing the roof due to multiple leaks.

o   Members approved repairing/sealing the clubhouse roof for a total cost of $1125.00

-          SVACR 2019 Ham Fest-

o   Saturday October 5th, 0800-1200

o   Setup will be on Friday October 4th at 1800

o   Held at the Lions Club building in Chillicothe – Behind Columbia Gas

o   Google Map Link to the location - https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3497668,-82.9987801,246m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

 

New Business:

-          Most of the meeting discussions were around the Ham Fest and the building/roof repair

-          Several members discussed the option to move the monthly meeting from Thursdays to Mondays for the remainder of the year to accommodate club members schedules, no decision was made to make the date change.

 

Upcoming Activities / Events:

-          SVARC Monthly Breakfast Meeting - Saturday October 12th, 9:00 AM at Frisch’s (Chillicothe)

-          Elmer Night – Thursday October 3rd, 7:00 PM at the Scioto Trails club house

-          Club Meeting – Thursday October 17th, 7:30 PM at the Scioto Trails club location

o   There was a discussion to move the monthly meeting to Monday’s for the remainder of the year to accommodate members schedules, no decision was made on the actual date move.

-          SVARC HamFest – Saturday October 5th. Chillicothe Lions Club Building, Lions Drive, Chillicothe.

 

End of Meeting:  Meeting was adjourned by Vice President Phil Short at 2008.

 

September Meeting Attendees:

-          David Phipps, KE8KCS                                                   -    Larry Thomas, KB8VUM

-          Daniel Knapp, K8DMK                                                    -    David Coffey, N8RKC

-          Michael Mathuews, KC8WIW                                          -    Emmitt Hempstead, KD8WJB

-          Dwight Kelly, K4YJ                                                         -    Scottie Thomas, AB8TI            

-          Phil Short, KB8SDC                                                        -    Bob Blue, W8LXJ

 

A short and to the point report for September -

If there are formatting issues, or suggestions on how to improve the monthly report, please email David Coffey, dcoffey99@...

Have a great weekend everyone,

David


September Monthly Meeting

Gregory Osborne
 

I can’t attend this time as planned. 



On Sep 17, 2019, at 6:07 PM, Jesse Stanley <jesse@...> wrote:

September Club meeting this Thursday evening. Were also just a few short weeks away from the Hamfest.




Virus-free. www.avg.com

Re: September Monthly Meeting

Jesse Stanley
 

Will do. 



------ Original Message ------
From: "John Hartmus II" <jhartmus@...>
To: "SVARC@groups.io" <SVARC@groups.io>
Sent: 9/17/2019 7:29:24 PM
Subject: Re: [SVARC] September Monthly Meeting

I will almost certainly not be able to make it to this meeting.  I have plenty of VEs committed for the test session at the hamfest.  Please let me know of any changes from the current plan.

 

Thanks,
John R. Hartmus II

WB8GRX

From: Jesse Stanley
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:10 PM
To: SVARC@groups.io
Subject: [SVARC] September Monthly Meeting

 

September Club meeting this Thursday evening. Were also just a few short weeks away from the Hamfest.







 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

 

Re: September Monthly Meeting

John Hartmus II
 

I will almost certainly not be able to make it to this meeting.  I have plenty of VEs committed for the test session at the hamfest.  Please let me know of any changes from the current plan.

 

Thanks,
John R. Hartmus II

WB8GRX

From: Jesse Stanley
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:10 PM
To: SVARC@groups.io
Subject: [SVARC] September Monthly Meeting

 

September Club meeting this Thursday evening. Were also just a few short weeks away from the Hamfest.







 

Virus-free. www.avg.com