Topics

Texas QSO Party #Contest

Marty Meyers

Dear club members,

I wanted to provide a reminder that the Texas QSO Party dates have changed this year. The TQP is now scheduled to take place the second weekend in September. Operating times for the 2019 contest are  from 1400Z on Saturday, September 14 to 0200Z on Sunday, September 15 and from 1400Z to 2000Z on Sunday, September 15th. This is always a fun event. Texas has 254 counties so there are a lot of multipliers to work.

Does anyone have any plans for the contest?

W5MRM

obd

Thanks Marty

I’ll operate from my qth some Saturday only.

Obie N5VYS

On Aug 23, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Dear club members,

I wanted to provide a reminder that the Texas QSO Party dates have changed this year. The TQP is now scheduled to take place the second weekend in September. Operating times for the 2019 contest are  from 1400Z on Saturday, September 14 to 0200Z on Sunday, September 15 and from 1400Z to 2000Z on Sunday, September 15th. This is always a fun event. Texas has 254 counties so there are a lot of multipliers to work.

Does anyone have any plans for the contest?

W5MRM

Gary Johnson

I won’t be of much help, but unless one runs an NVIS antenna on 40m, I stand a better chance of hitting Texas stations from Flippin, Arkansas (home of Ranger Boats and NA3VY) than those that live in Texas do.  If I get my CrankIR up, I’ll work you all if possible.

73,

Gary J
NA3VY

I’ll operate from my qth some Saturday only.

Obie N5VYS

On Aug 23, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Dear club members,

I wanted to provide a reminder that the Texas QSO Party dates have changed this year. The TQP is now scheduled to take place the second weekend in September. Operating times for the 2019 contest are  from 1400Z on Saturday, September 14 to 0200Z on Sunday, September 15 and from 1400Z to 2000Z on Sunday, September 15th. This is always a fun event. Texas has 254 counties so there are a lot of multipliers to work.

Does anyone have any plans for the contest?

W5MRM

Robert Hejl

I'll be operating mobile from several south Texas counties as yet to be determined. I even bought a new lap top to do logging.  Bob  W2IK

Sent: Friday, August 23, 2019 1:32 PM

Thanks Marty

I’ll operate from my qth some Saturday only.

Obie N5VYS

On Aug 23, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Dear club members,

I wanted to provide a reminder that the Texas QSO Party dates have changed this year. The TQP is now scheduled to take place the second weekend in September. Operating times for the 2019 contest are  from 1400Z on Saturday, September 14 to 0200Z on Sunday, September 15 and from 1400Z to 2000Z on Sunday, September 15th. This is always a fun event. Texas has 254 counties so there are a lot of multipliers to work.

Does anyone have any plans for the contest?

W5MRM

Brad Peace

I'll also be operating, probably from my home.

73!
Brad
N5PBP

Marty Meyers

Dear Club Members,

If you are feeling a little adventurous and can spare the time for the Texas QSO Party here is a list of counties that were inactive during the 2018 running of the contest. Those with an asterisk (*) were also inactive during the 2017 contest. It would be great to see our club members put a dent in a few of these if possible. A better format of this data along with a map can be found on page 25 of this report: http://www.txqp.net/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=174 You should also be able to view the map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1m2-nW-xKxpFCVC44OWNoIlL3pweczAyP&ll=30.917099727399396%2C-100.08102650000001&z=6

Inactive Counties - 2018 Aransas* Fannin Lipscomb Refugio* Austin Floyd Llano Roberts Castro Gray Mason Runnels Chambers* Grimes Matagorda* Sherman Coleman Grayson Maverick* San Patricio* Colorado Hale McCulloch San Saba Concho Hansford Menard Val Verde* Cooke Hartley Moore Ward Cottle Hemphill Motley Webb* Crane Hood* Ochiltree Wheeler Dallam Hutchinson Oldham Winkler Dimmit Jasper Orange* Zavala Deaf Smith Johnson* Parmer Erath* Kendall Reeves* *

For those of you just north of town in Kendall county (KD3VK I'm looking at you!) please spend a bit of time playing radio or encourage others in the KARS club to do so.

I had a short email chat with Chuck Sanders NO5W and he said that 2017 and 2018 were two of their poorest years as far as number of counties on the air. If you happen to know hams that live near these "dead spots" please let them know about the contest. Even if they get on for an hour or two that would be an improvement!

Let me know if you have any questions.

W5MRM

Ken Nichols

Marty, I don’t know why you’re picking on me? I live in Comal County! HiHi

Unfortunately I won’t be where I can use a radio during the Texas QSO party weekend but I’m going to forward this to the the KARS club members because several live in Kendall County and hopefully some will get on the air that weekend.

Ken Nichols
(m)301-717-4571

On Aug 28, 2019, at 7:58 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

[...]

oops! My mistake. I guess I just associated you with KARS and thought you lived there. Thanks for passing it along!

W5MRM

obd

I don’t have a mobile setup any longer !

Ob N5VYS

On Aug 28, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

oops! My mistake. I guess I just associated you with KARS and thought you lived there. Thanks for passing it along!

W5MRM

Robert Hejl

Although family emergencies kept me from doing it last year, this year I'll be running mobile in the same counties I did in 2017.... south of Bexar County. Bob W2IK

In a message dated 8/28/2019 10:37:35 PM Central Standard Time, n5vys@... writes:

I don’t have a mobile setup any longer !

Ob N5VYS

On Aug 28, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

oops! My mistake. I guess I just associated you with KARS and thought you lived there. Thanks for passing it along!

W5MRM

obd

Those countries to the south of Bexar will be fun to run.

Obie N5VYS

On Aug 28, 2019, at 10:53 PM, Robert Hejl via Groups.Io <alonestaryank@...> wrote:

Although family emergencies kept me from doing it last year, this year I'll be running mobile in the same counties I did in 2017.... south of Bexar County. Bob W2IK

In a message dated 8/28/2019 10:37:35 PM Central Standard Time, n5vys@... writes:

I don’t have a mobile setup any longer !

Ob N5VYS

On Aug 28, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

oops! My mistake. I guess I just associated you with KARS and thought you lived there. Thanks for passing it along!

W5MRM

Robert Hejl

I ran about 12 of them in 2017, using a special antenna that was 30 feet tall on my rear bumper, but I had to stop at each location instead of driving as I operated. I will be mainly on 40 and 20 meters,  Bob  W2IK