Topics

Route 66 On the Air - Special Event

Marty Meyers

Dear club members,

I received the following from John Robert Stratton N5AUS, our West Gulf Division Director. I know many of you have worked this event in the past and I thought many would be interested in this announcement.

Route 66 On The Air Returns

The 20th Annual Amateur Radio special operating event, known as
“Route 66 On The Air” returns on September 7-15, 2019.

Organized by the Citrus Belt Amateur Radio Club of San Bernardino,
California in 1999 to celebrate the anniversary of Bobby Troup’s 1946
hit song “Get Your Kicks On Route 66”, the event now involves over
20 cities on the “Mother Road” being activated by multiple Amateur
Radio clubs and individuals.

Oklahoma and Texas will again activate portions of the Mother Road.
Oklahoma expects to have special event stations in Tulsa, Oklahoma City
and Elk City. Texas expects to have a station in Amarillo. The list of
all the planned special event stations along the Mother Road can be
found at   http://w6jbt.org/?page_id=117  and the operating frequency
guidelines can be found at http://w6jbt.org/?page_id=25

Aaron Scott, K5ATG, an Oklahoma City resident, has announced he intends
to operate “recumbent tricycle mobile” while traveling a 30-mile
route between the “Round Barn” in Acadia, Oklahoma and the
Overholser Bridge, west of Bethany, Oklahoma.

 The FCC has issued each of the participating stations special
call signs in recognition of the event. Anyone who works any of the
special event stations will receive a certificate with endorsements
identifying which of the participating cities they contacted.

You may not be able to travel the length of the Mother Road, but
with this event, you can at least talk to it.

obd

Fun event.

Thanks Marty....
Obie N5VYS