Topics

Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent

Marty Meyers
 

Dear Club Members,

Ed Kirk N5JJI has a cabin available at Laguna Madre, TX and would like to plan an operation for the 2018 Islands on the Air contest. We are looking for a few operators that would like to participate in the contest. The cabin is off grid and is reachable by boat. Ed will be supplying the boat to transport operators and gear to and from the cabin. We will be running generators for power and will need to pack all food and beverage in ice chests. The cabin provides sleeping arrangements.

Contest info: https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2018/riota.shtml
Dates: July 28th - 29th

Once we have a list of interested operators we will hold a planning meeting to determine time, transportation, radio gear, antennas, modes, duration, etc.

If you are interested in working the contest please reply here or email me. If you have any questions please contact me at info@... and we'll get them answered for you.

It would be great to get a few club members together to make this a success.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

obd
 

Also NA-092?

Obie N5VYS 




On Jun 25, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Dear Club Members,

Ed Kirk N5JJI has a cabin available at Laguna Madre, TX and would like to plan an operation for the 2018 Islands on the Air contest. We are looking for a few operators that would like to participate in the contest. The cabin is off grid and is reachable by boat. Ed will be supplying the boat to transport operators and gear to and from the cabin. We will be running generators for power and will need to pack all food and beverage in ice chests. The cabin provides sleeping arrangements.

Contest info: https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2018/riota.shtml
Dates: July 28th - 29th

Once we have a list of interested operators we will hold a planning meeting to determine time, transportation, radio gear, antennas, modes, duration, etc.

If you are interested in working the contest please reply here or email me. If you have any questions please contact me at info@... and we'll get them answered for you.

It would be great to get a few club members together to make this a success.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Marty Meyers
 

I believe so Obie. When I submitted for a special event call I notated that it is NA-092 but I need to check with Buzz to be sure. I would definitely like to be considered an island station for this if possible.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

obd
 

I was not sure. Thisis what I found.

Obie N5VYS

NA-092
Group Name Texas State West (Cameron to Calhoun County) group
DXCC Entity United States of America
--------------------------------------------

On Mon, 6/25/18, obd via Groups.Io <n5vys=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
To: STXDXCC@groups.io
Date: Monday, June 25, 2018, 8:24 PM

Also
NA-092?
Obie N5VYS 




On Jun 25, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Marty Meyers
<martyrmeyers@...>
wrote:

Dear Club Members,

Ed Kirk N5JJI has a cabin available at Laguna
Madre, TX and would like to plan an operation for the
2018 Islands on the Air contest. We are
looking for a few operators that would like to participate
in the contest. The cabin is off grid and is reachable by
boat. Ed will be supplying the boat to transport operators
and gear to and from the cabin. We will be running
generators for power and will need to pack all food and
beverage in ice chests. The cabin provides sleeping
arrangements.

Contest
info: https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2018/riota.shtml
Dates: July 28th - 29th

Once we have a list of interested operators we
will hold a planning meeting to determine time,
transportation, radio gear, antennas, modes, duration,
etc.

If you are interested
in working the contest please reply here or email me. If you
have any questions please contact me at info@...
and we'll get them answered for you.

It would be great to get a few
club members together to make this a success.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Mike Crownover
 

What island? Padre? 

Mike AB5EB

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 8:47 AM obd via Groups.Io <n5vys=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was not sure. Thisis what I found.

Obie N5VYS

NA-092
Group Name      Texas State West (Cameron to Calhoun County) group
DXCC Entity     United States of America
--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 6/25/18, obd via Groups.Io <n5vys=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
 To: STXDXCC@groups.io
 Date: Monday, June 25, 2018, 8:24 PM

 Also
 NA-092?
 Obie N5VYS 




 On Jun 25, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Marty Meyers
 <martyrmeyers@...>
 wrote:

 Dear Club Members,

 Ed Kirk N5JJI has a cabin available at Laguna
 Madre, TX and would like to plan an operation for the
 2018 Islands on the Air contest. We are
 looking for a few operators that would like to participate
 in the contest. The cabin is off grid and is reachable by
 boat. Ed will be supplying the boat to transport operators
 and gear to and from the cabin. We will be running
 generators for power and will need to pack all food and
 beverage in ice chests. The cabin provides sleeping
 arrangements.

 Contest
 info: https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2018/riota.shtml
 Dates: July 28th - 29th

 Once we have a list of interested operators we
 will hold a planning meeting to determine time,
 transportation, radio gear, antennas, modes, duration,
 etc.

 If you are interested
 in working the contest please reply here or email me. If you
 have any questions please contact me at info@...
 and we'll get them answered for you.

 It would be great to get a few
 club members together to make this a success.

 73,

 Marty
 W5MRM








Marty Meyers
 

Hey Mike,

As I understand from Ed this lies between the mainland and the barrier island (padre). As NA-092 is an "island group" my guess is that it qualifies. Would love your perspective on it if you have one. I'll see if I can get some GPS coordinates or a more solid location from Ed.

Thanks!

Marty
W5MRM

Mike Crownover
 

Get the coordinates but if it is on the bayside of Padre it should count. 


On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 9:31 AM Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Hey Mike,

As I understand from Ed this lies between the mainland and the barrier island (padre). As NA-092 is an "island group" my guess is that it qualifies. Would love your perspective on it if you have one. I'll see if I can get some GPS coordinates or a more solid location from Ed.

Thanks!

Marty
W5MRM

Gary Johnson
 

Most of the Islands along the intra coastal channel are “spoil islands”  Made from spoils of the dredging of the channel.  As I doubt there is some rule that says islands have to be “nature” made, it should count as an island.  It isn’t per se a section of Padre Island.
 
73,
 
Gary J
N5BAA
 

From: Mike Crownover
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:59 AM
To: STXDXCC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
 
Get the coordinates but if it is on the bayside of Padre it should count.
 
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 9:31 AM Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Hey Mike,

As I understand from Ed this lies between the mainland and the barrier island (padre). As NA-092 is an "island group" my guess is that it qualifies. Would love your perspective on it if you have one. I'll see if I can get some GPS coordinates or a more solid location from Ed.

Thanks!

Marty
W5MRM

Mike Crownover
 

The spoil islands for NA-89 do not count. However those are much more obvious. 

Mike AB5EB

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 12:51 PM Gary Johnson <n5baa@...> wrote:
Most of the Islands along the intra coastal channel are “spoil islands”  Made from spoils of the dredging of the channel.  As I doubt there is some rule that says islands have to be “nature” made, it should count as an island.  It isn’t per se a section of Padre Island.
 
73,
 
Gary J
N5BAA
 
From: Mike Crownover
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:59 AM
To: STXDXCC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
 
Get the coordinates but if it is on the bayside of Padre it should count.
 
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 9:31 AM Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Hey Mike,

As I understand from Ed this lies between the mainland and the barrier island (padre). As NA-092 is an "island group" my guess is that it qualifies. Would love your perspective on it if you have one. I'll see if I can get some GPS coordinates or a more solid location from Ed.

Thanks!

Marty
W5MRM

Ed
 

Hi Group
the location
of the cabin according to google is 27.527306, -97.303170.  my phone is 210-347-7690 if anyone would like to recon the site this weekend

Ed

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 12:59:25 PM CDT, Mike Crownover <ab5ebdxer@...> wrote:


The spoil islands for NA-89 do not count. However those are much more obvious. 

Mike AB5EB

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 12:51 PM Gary Johnson <n5baa@...> wrote:
Most of the Islands along the intra coastal channel are “spoil islands”  Made from spoils of the dredging of the channel.  As I doubt there is some rule that says islands have to be “nature” made, it should count as an island.  It isn’t per se a section of Padre Island.
 
73,
 
Gary J
N5BAA
 
From: Mike Crownover
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:59 AM
To: STXDXCC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
 
Get the coordinates but if it is on the bayside of Padre it should count.
 
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018, 9:31 AM Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Hey Mike,

As I understand from Ed this lies between the mainland and the barrier island (padre). As NA-092 is an "island group" my guess is that it qualifies. Would love your perspective on it if you have one. I'll see if I can get some GPS coordinates or a more solid location from Ed.

Thanks!

Marty
W5MRM


--
Ed Kirk N5JJI

Marty Meyers
 

Team,

The location has been sent to the IOTA committee to determine eligibility for NA-092. I'll let you know as soon as we hear back.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

obd
 

Thanks Marty 

Ob N5VYS 


On Jun 27, 2018, at 8:42 AM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Team,

The location has been sent to the IOTA committee to determine eligibility for NA-092. I'll let you know as soon as we hear back.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Matt Rottman
 

Eagerly awaiting their response 

<><

Matthew R.
K5NON

2nd Grade Teacher and Team Lead at NISD

Bicycle Blog: www.Bike4Heck.com

YouTube: Video Ramblings of Matthew www.youtube.com/matthew2000tx

Personal Twitter: @matthew2000tx 
Education Twitter: @NerdsTeachu

Geocache handle: TxNerdHerd

San Antonio Amateur Astronomy Association - Board of Director & IDA Representative and Webmaster and Social Media Strategist

Alamo Area Radio Organization: (AA5RO) Webmaster and Social Media Strategist
Former President term of 2017

Gateway Fellowship Church- San Antonio Volunteer Photography Team Member

On Jun 27, 2018, at 8:42 AM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

Team,

The location has been sent to the IOTA committee to determine eligibility for NA-092. I'll let you know as soon as we hear back.

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Marty Meyers
 

A couple of updates - 

1. I have received word that the location of the cabin will not count as an island as part of NA-092 for IOTA. With this said I still think this will be a fun op and a good location to run the contest as a "world" station or just to make contacts. Besides Ed and myself I have one other confirmation. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the list.
2. I have secured the 1x1 special event call sign of N5I. It is currently marked as being used to activate NA-092 for the contest but I can get this updated and we can still use it. We should probably come up with an actual special event for the use of this call. The other option is to operate from padre island during the contest.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. I'll work with Ed to setup a meeting to go over plans for this. Ed is looking to go down and recon the cabin this weekend. If you are interested give him a shout.

73,
Marty
W5MRM

Robert Hejl
 

My wife wants me to go and operate from Mustang Island where we would probably operate on the beach or at a local hotel which allows me setting up an "Inverted V" for this event like I've done about 12 years ago. (They also allow dogs!)  W2IK  Bob

In a message dated 6/28/2018 9:39:34 PM Central Standard Time, martyrmeyers@... writes:

A couple of updates - 

1. I have received word that the location of the cabin will not count as an island as part of NA-092 for IOTA. With this said I still think this will be a fun op and a good location to run the contest as a "world" station or just to make contacts. Besides Ed and myself I have one other confirmation. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the list.
2. I have secured the 1x1 special event call sign of N5I. It is currently marked as being used to activate NA-092 for the contest but I can get this updated and we can still use it. We should probably come up with an actual special event for the use of this call. The other option is to operate from padre island during the contest.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. I'll work with Ed to setup a meeting to go over plans for this. Ed is looking to go down and recon the cabin this weekend. If you are interested give him a shout.

73,
Marty
W5MRM

Matt Rottman
 

What is the status of us planning a trip? Has a planning meeting been set?

<><

Matthew R.
K5NON

2nd Grade Teacher and Team Lead at NISD

Bicycle Blog: www.Bike4Heck.com

YouTube: Video Ramblings of Matthew www.youtube.com/matthew2000tx

Personal Twitter: @matthew2000tx 
Education Twitter: @NerdsTeachu

Geocache handle: TxNerdHerd

San Antonio Amateur Astronomy Association - Board of Director & IDA Representative and Webmaster and Social Media Strategist

Alamo Area Radio Organization: (AA5RO) Webmaster and Social Media Strategist
Former President term of 2017

Gateway Fellowship Church- San Antonio Volunteer Photography Team Member

On Jun 28, 2018, at 9:39 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:

A couple of updates - 

1. I have received word that the location of the cabin will not count as an island as part of NA-092 for IOTA. With this said I still think this will be a fun op and a good location to run the contest as a "world" station or just to make contacts. Besides Ed and myself I have one other confirmation. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the list.
2. I have secured the 1x1 special event call sign of N5I. It is currently marked as being used to activate NA-092 for the contest but I can get this updated and we can still use it. We should probably come up with an actual special event for the use of this call. The other option is to operate from padre island during the contest.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. I'll work with Ed to setup a meeting to go over plans for this. Ed is looking to go down and recon the cabin this weekend. If you are interested give him a shout.

73,
Marty
W5MRM

Marty Meyers
 

I suggest we conduct the planning meeting prior to the regular club meeting next Tuesday.

Ed, how does 6pm next Tuesday at Bobby J's sound to you?
Matthew, can you make that time?

Buzz, N3AVY and others, are you still interested? Anyone else want to join in?

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Gary Johnson
 

Unfortunately NA3VY (Not N3AVY – close but no cigar) cant make it.
 

From: Marty Meyers
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:55 PM
To: STXDXCC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [STXDXCC] Laguna Madre Activation for IOTA #Contest #DX #LocalEvent
 
I suggest we conduct the planning meeting prior to the regular club meeting next Tuesday.

Ed, how does 6pm next Tuesday at Bobby J's sound to you?
Matthew, can you make that time?

Buzz, N3AVY and others, are you still interested? Anyone else want to join in?

73,

Marty
W5MRM

Ed
 

Marty...yes I can be there at 6 before the club meeting.  I will have a few pictures and sketches to show what we have to work with

--
Ed Kirk N5JJI

Matt Rottman
 

I'll be there

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM, Marty Meyers <martyrmeyers@...> wrote:
I suggest we conduct the planning meeting prior to the regular club meeting next Tuesday.

Ed, how does 6pm next Tuesday at Bobby J's sound to you?
Matthew, can you make that time?

Buzz, N3AVY and others, are you still interested? Anyone else want to join in?

73,

Marty
W5MRM




--
Matthew  Rottman   - K5NON
<><



My personal Blog: Bicycling for the Heck Blog: Bike4Heck.com