Final San Antonio Radio Club Centennial Special Event

Cray Lester / K5MUG

Didn’t have all the particulars at the meeting tonight so thought I would follow up with some additional bits of information, some of which were pilfered from the San Antonio Radio Club (SARC) Newsletter (Darn good newsletter!) and from Centennial committee emails.

The next and last W5SC/100 Special Event operation is scheduled for Saturday, November 9, 2019, from 10 AM to 4 PM at the San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology (SAMSAT), 102 Mabry Dr San Antonio, TX 78226.  We have a “shack” in an office in the back part of SAMSAT.  SAMSAT is on Port San Antonio campus near Lackland Air Force Base (the building was the Main Chapel for Kelly AFB).  Open to the public every Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm,  FREE (donations welcome), Volunteer-led tours (not always available].

On site equipment installed is an ICOM IC-781 (provided by SAMSAT) and a roof mounted Cushcraft R-5 vertical antenna (provided by San Antonio Radio Club).  Weather and conditions permitting, SARC will again be setting up and using the club’s trailer mounted tri-band beam.  Operations so far have been on 20 meters, SSB.

Notable contacts have been a Aeronautical Mobile station at 30,000 some thousand feet altitude over Arizona in May, and a submarine in August.

SARC’s Special Event operation uses the “ARRL Field Day” model, as follows: ANYONE can operate the station, regardless of license class, because we operate with an Extra-Class licensed “Control Operator”, and therefore we have Extra-Class privileges as far as frequency and mode.

Add-on encouragement:  If you haven’t been to the San Antonio Museum of Science and Technology, it’s well worth making the time to visit.  Link to their website is below.

   https://www.samsat.org/

Double hitter: visit our Centennial Event and see the museum’s fantastic displays as well.

Cray Lester / K5MUG