NIST budget to cut WWV, WWVH, WWVB

Tom O'Brien

I read through the budget request, and it is beyond my understanding.
That said, I will say that I am dismayed by the general budget-slashing imposed on NIST.
The director, Undersecretary Walter Copan, is a seasoned bureaucrat with lots of national and international credentials. He a political appointee, doing what he's told by the Secretary of Commerce.
The thing I can't comprehend is how this (more than just WWV) is going to help the USA get ahead.
If we're going to get ahead (or become competitive), we are going to have to pay attention to science and technology.
A real good example of paying attention to S & T can be seen in the below-referenced article on supercomputing in Japan.

https://www.top500.org/news/fujitsu-reveals-details-of-processor-that-will-power-post-k-supercomputer/

Fujitsu's customer for that computer is RIKEN, which is the biggest thinktank in Japan and is heavily government sponsored.(88 billion US per year).
I'll bet that neither Fujitsu nor RIKEN is cutting headcount or slashing budgets.

This makes me want to box up my Chinese-made, Japanese-designed (Casio) "Atomic Watch" and send it to Washington DC.

I think the whole NIST budget stinks, but I guess we have to fund a Wall somehow.

Note, if this e-mail is offensive, I will not object to its removal.

Sincerely,
Tom O'Brien
San Antonio, Texas

Sincerely,