Topics

Musical Memories of the Concentration Camps

Susan Kemppainen

On November 9 at 2 PM, join local musicologist and teacher Phyllis Hyken for a moving presentation on “Musical Memories of the Concentration Camps.” Music was the one source of temporary escape inside the gates of Auschwitz. All kinds of composers, singers and musicians were among the imprisoned, and the amount of music created in the camps was vast. This talk introduces some of that soul nurturing music. The program is a commemoration marking the anniversary of Kristallnacht, the Night of the Broken Glass (November 9 – 10, 1938), when the Nazis in Germany burned synagogues, vandalized Jewish homes, schools and businesses and killed close to 100 Jews. In its aftermath some 30,000 Jewish men were arrested and sent to Nazi concentration camps. This program is provided in conjunction with the St. Louis Holocaust Museum & Learning Center.

You can view and register for programs online (login first). You can also call 314-733-9813 or reply to this email, and I can register you. We hope you will take a look at all the online programming coming up at the Mirowitz Center. If you have missed any of our fantastic presentations, you can view Zoom recordings on the Mirowitz Center website, which you can access by clicking here. Please “follow” the Mirowitz Center Facebook page too, as program information is posted daily.

Finally, be on the lookout for the new Mirowitz Center Program Guide coming with the 10/21/20 edition of the St. Louis Jewish Light! We have lots of great programs in store to keep you busy for the following months!

Susan Kemppainen

VOLUNTEER/ACTIVITY PROGRAM COORDINATOR

MIROWITZ CENTER AT COVENANT PLACE

314-432-1610, ext. 1112   OFFICE