Topics

Henry Sapoznik’s "The Lost World of the African-American Cantor: 1920-1953"

Susan Kemppainen

I am very excited to tell you about an amazing Mirowitz Center program that was just added to the September calendar! I don’t think a program of this kind has ever previously been offered, and it is sure to be one you won’t want to miss! On September 30 at 2 pm, join Henry Sapoznik, an award winning producer, musicologist, performer and writer in the fields of traditional and popular Yiddish and American music and culture, as he discusses The Lost World of the African-American Cantor: 1920-1953.” The history of Black-Jewish cultural interaction has always included how Jews adopted and adapted Black music (ragtime, jazz, swing, R&B, blues, etc.), as performers, promoters, managers, and record labels. What has not been previously explored are the African-Americans (Jewish and non-Jewish) who performed Yiddish and cantorial music in the Jewish community, in theater, and on radio between the World Wars. Sapoznik is a five-time Grammy-nominated producer/performer and was a 2000 Peabody award winner for co-producing the 10-part NPR series “The Yiddish Radio Project.”

You can register for Henry Sapoznik’s program and others online at https://schedulesplus.com/covplace/kiosk/dspschedules.do (login first), by calling 314-733-9813 or emailing skemppainen@.... All of our programs can be enjoyed via Zoom or telephone call.

Susan Kemppainen

VOLUNTEER/ACTIVITY PROGRAM COORDINATOR

MIROWITZ CENTER AT COVENANT PLACE

314-432-1610, ext. 1112   OFFICE