Topics

Fire in Moshav Mevo Modiin

Michael Minoff

Karen Zeff passed this message along as Avi and Tia are made aliyah from St Louis in 1973 during the Yom Kippur War. They were members of Young Israel.

Dear family & friends,

As you probably know, last Thursday was the big forest fire that destroyed the village of Moshav Mevo Modiin. Dear friends of ours, Avi Esterson and Tia Pinsky, have lived on the Moshav for 40 years. Their home, too, was ravaged by the fire.

Avi is a farmer - he's been growing organic produce for both the local market and export. Perhaps you've even eaten his organic avocados. His farm is relatively small, but it's what he loves doing and it has provided them a modest income over the years.

Now, the thing is - not only was their home destroyed, but also his tractor, farming equipment, irrigation systems, cold storage room, packing house, farmhands' quarters, etc. also were destroyed.

They are facing a serious financial crush. Besides coping with the aftermath of the fire, they are scrambling to save what they can of the crops and orchards that survived the blaze. They desperately need to replace the tractor and other agricultural losses ASAP -- every day means additional losses for them.

You know me and I don't often send out letters like this. However, I'm turning to everyone I can to lend them a hand. I've set up a GoFundMe campaign to help them -- click here to read more about their story, see pictures, and, I hope, contribute something to the cause.

If you would like to share this appeal further -- that would be great. Even if you  are unable to contribute anything it will help if you post it on your facebook page or other social media. The page on the GoFundMe site has a Share button you can use.

And don't worry - I won't send reminders (and I hope I'll never need to send a letter like this again).

Thank you,
Yosh