Re: SPC 81319 boxcar?

John Stutz

This car has a steel underframe, and standard gauge wheel set proportions. Note also the Carmer(sp-?) style uncoupling lever, once very common on Eastern roads, but not seen on western NG roads.

Apparently SP had assigned some of their box cars to their SPC corporate subsidiary, but I am not familiar enough with SP designs to say that this is one of their Common Standard cars.

Given the shed configuration, the car is almost certainly being unloaded, of some bulk mineral product. The apparatus on the right is a light crushing roll: the belt drive and bevel gears rotate a vertical shaft, causing the stone wheels to roll in a circle. My guess is that it is about up to crushing clumps of sand, or perhaps lightly bonded sandstone, say from one of the Santa Cruz area sand mines.

Note the front frame on the delivery wagon: the bowed steel frame allows the front axle to pivot through about two thirds of a circle. This is a city wagon designed for maneuvering in very tight places, as opposed to the farm type wagons normally modeled. It is far more maneuverable than a modern pickup truck or forklift.

John Stutz

On 07/29/2016 09:24 AM, rwbowdidge@... [spcrr] wrote:

There's a bunch of auctions on eBay for some 1920's glass plate photos of
commercial and railroad scenes. This one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172272768877?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F172272768877

says it's a South Pacific Coast boxcar being loaded at the "Oakland Shed"

The wheels and grab irons look scaled correctly for a narrow gauge car, but the
"SPC 81319" reporting marks seem odd - I would have assumed the SPC stayed with
its system of low numbered freight cars.

Has anyone else ever seen 5 digit car numbers on an SPC car?

Robert

Join SPCRR@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.