Topics

IC-7300 USB connection to SKCCLogger

Mike Pilgrim, K5MP

Thanks Ron.  Well, maybe I should take a second look at the direct CI-V (remote) jack connection.  I have no particular reason to use what I described… I just thought since that cable worked on the IC-7600, it might work on the 7300.  Maybe not.  BTW, I saw this topic discussed a year ago on the Yahoo groups pages, and reference was made to downloading interim version xxxx.06 of the logger.  FYI, I am at V03.00.07Win, so I assume I have the referenced IC-7300 support.

I’ll dig back into my cable box and see if I have a cable to do the CI-V remote jack connection.  I’ll come back for more answers if that fails.  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Mike, K5MP

Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 11:42 AM
To: SKCCLogger@...
Subject: RE: [SKCCLogger] IC-7300 USB connection to SKCClogger

Mike -

As I mentioned in my email, I've only used the direct CI-V (Remote) jack connection on my Icom Radio - hopefully, someone here can help you with the USB setup for the IC-7300.

Do not worry about the Stop Bits, the CI-V address, or the message about defaults being set for IC-7200.
>> Stop bits should be set to 1 for ALL Icom Radios
>> the CI-V address is unique for each Icom Model - 94 is the correct CI-V address for the IC-7300
>> The message about IC-7200 defaults is a copy/paste error that will be fixed in the next update

As for the continuous stream of "Send Read Command", you will see that whenever the log entry window is open and the logger is trying to poll the radio for the current VFO frequency.

Ron, AC2C

Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:18 AM
Subject: [SKCCLogger] IC-7300 USB connection to SKCClogger

I've been using SKCC Logger for about two years, first with connections from my KX3, and then from my IC-7600. I don't recall any connection issues with either of those as I merely connected to the USB port on my WIN10 PC, and appropriately addressed the assigned Com port in the logger program.

I now have added an IC-7300 in the shack (hoping soon to sell the IC-7600), so I'd like to have the 7300 connected to the logger program. The IC-7300 has a USB port on the back, same as the IC-7600, so I plugged a USB cable between that port and a USB port on the PC. In the PC device manager I see Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UEART Bridge (Com3. I go to the Logger radio configuration setup screen where I note that Com3 is recognized so I ensure I selected the IC-7300 radio model and that the 9600 baud rate matches what I saw in the devise manager. Something I see here that I did not recognize on the IC-7600 setup is the field below "stop bits" which indicates "Icom CI-V with the number 94 in the box beside that label". Oddly, i see a page in the right half of the setup screen which indicates "Icom IC-7200 defaults have been set.

I now click the OPEN PORT button and then Close the Window. I now bring up the ADD LOG ENTRY window on the logger program where I have put a check mark in the Read VFO block. I get no reading of the VFO setting. I then attempt to QSY the rado from that logger screen, but to no avail. I cycle the radio off, then on again, nothing changes. I exit the logger program and log back in. Nothing. I bring up the radio configuration screen again and I notice a continuous list of messages in right panel of the config. page "sending read command to radio".........So, that's all I know for explanation of my scenario. If any one has ideas or suggestions, please let me know. . PS. I'm new to this Yahoo group and could not figure out how to review whether or not this subject has previously been covered here. If so, I hope someone will point me to that thread and please excuse this duplication of effort. 73's Mike

AC2C

Mike -

I'm quite sure the IC-7300 USB port will work fine - just need to set it up correctly.

FWIW, I've had good luck using the West Mountain Radio RigTalk-CIV with Icom radios as a CI-V to USB converter.

Ron

Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: RE: [SKCCLogger] IC-7300 USB connection to SKCCLogger

Thanks Ron. Well, maybe I should take a second look at the direct CI-V (remote) jack connection. I have no particular reason to use what I described… I just thought since that cable worked on the IC-7600, it might work on the 7300. Maybe not. BTW, I saw this topic discussed a year ago on the Yahoo groups pages, and reference was made to downloading interim version xxxx.06 of the logger. FYI, I am at V03.00.07Win, so I assume I have the referenced IC-7300 support.

I’ll dig back into my cable box and see if I have a cable to do the CI-V remote jack connection. I’ll come back for more answers if that fails. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Mike, K5MP

Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2017 11:42 AM
Subject: RE: [SKCCLogger] IC-7300 USB connection to SKCClogger

Mike -

As I mentioned in my email, I've only used the direct CI-V (Remote) jack connection on my Icom Radio - hopefully, someone here can help you with the USB setup for the IC-7300.

Do not worry about the Stop Bits, the CI-V address, or the message about defaults being set for IC-7200.
Stop bits should be set to 1 for ALL Icom Radios
the CI-V address is unique for each Icom Model - 94 is the correct CI-V address for the IC-7300
The message about IC-7200 defaults is a copy/paste error that will be fixed in the next update
As for the continuous stream of "Send Read Command", you will see that whenever the log entry window is open and the logger is trying to poll the radio for the current VFO frequency.

Ron, AC2C

Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 11:18 AM
Subject: [SKCCLogger] IC-7300 USB connection to SKCClogger

I've been using SKCC Logger for about two years, first with connections from my KX3, and then from my IC-7600. I don't recall any connection issues with either of those as I merely connected to the USB port on my WIN10 PC, and appropriately addressed the assigned Com port in the logger program.

I now have added an IC-7300 in the shack (hoping soon to sell the IC-7600), so I'd like to have the 7300 connected to the logger program. The IC-7300 has a USB port on the back, same as the IC-7600, so I plugged a USB cable between that port and a USB port on the PC. In the PC device manager I see Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UEART Bridge (Com3. I go to the Logger radio configuration setup screen where I note that Com3 is recognized so I ensure I selected the IC-7300 radio model and that the 9600 baud rate matches what I saw in the devise manager. Something I see here that I did not recognize on the IC-7600 setup is the field below "stop bits" which indicates "Icom CI-V with the number 94 in the box beside that label". Oddly, i see a page in the right half of the setup screen which indicates "Icom IC-7200 defaults have been set.

I now click the OPEN PORT button and then Close the Window. I now bring up the ADD LOG ENTRY window on the logger program where I have put a check mark in the Read VFO block. I get no reading of the VFO setting. I then attempt to QSY the rado from that logger screen, but to no avail. I cycle the radio off, then on again, nothing changes. I exit the logger program and log back in. Nothing. I bring up the radio configuration screen again and I notice a continuous list of messages in right panel of the config. page "sending read command to radio".........So, that's all I know for explanation of my scenario. If any one has ideas or suggestions, please let me know. . PS. I'm new to this Yahoo group and could not figure out how to review whether or not this subject has previously been covered here. If so, I hope someone will point me to that thread and please excuse this duplication of effort. 73's Mike