Topics

New Drone

Rick Jones
 

After seeing some interesting aerial videos of trains on YouTube my holiday present to myself was a nice drone with HD camera. Now I need to find some good places around the greater Houston area to take some videos so any ideas would be welcome. Keep in mind that new FAA regs prohibit flying within a 5 mile radius of an airport. I bought some pilot's navigation maps for reference to be safe.
For anybody interested in the technical aspects, it's a DJI Phantom 3. This is medium high-end drone,not one of the el cheapo toys that were being sold by the thousands this holiday season. The HD camera is mounted on a 3 axis gimbal so it stays level no matter how the platform dips and sways. It has GPS, a range of up to 1 kilometer, and can fly up to 20-25 minutes on a full battery charge. I've only made a couple of test flights to get the hang of it but hoping to make some nice train videos soon.

--

Rick Jones

Ever wonder why the sun lightens our hair but darkens our skin?

Craig Brantley
 

HALS is hosting an operating session at Zube Park on Jan. 23. This would be a perfect oportunity to test your drone if weather cooperates.

Craig

Rick Jones
 

On 1/6/2016 11:08 AM, ctbk27@... [SJMRRC] wrote:
HALS is hosting an operating session at Zube Park on Jan. 23. This would be a perfect oportunity to test your drone if weather cooperates.
Great! I had thought of HALS but thought they were shutdown for the winter. I'll keep it in mind.

--

Rick Jones

Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.

Rick White
 

Craig,
    HALS is in a county park and has to go by county rules, which do not allow drones.  Sorry.  We have had a number of requests and have not been able to go with any of them.  Would be a great video if the county had a way to get around their rules on this issue.
    Rick White
             HALS Secretary

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM, ctbk27@... [SJMRRC] <SJMRRC@...> wrote:
 

HALS is hosting an operating session at Zube Park on Jan. 23. This would be a perfect oportunity to test your drone if weather cooperates.

Craig


Rick Jones
 

On 1/8/2016 9:02 AM, Rick White lccfbrr@... [SJMRRC] wrote:
Craig,
HALS is in a county park and has to go by county rules, which do
*not *allow drones. Sorry. We have had a number of requests and have
not been able to go with any of them. Would be a great video if the
county had a way to get around their rules on this issue.
Rick White
HALS Secretary
Really? You can't fly an R/C aircraft in a county park? That's amazing, as well as very disappointing.
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for interesting trains to shoot. So far Spring Junction is the only place I've decided to try, since it's just several miles from the house.

--

Rick Jones

I'm not getting older. I'm getting more experienced.

Rick White
 

Correct, no R/C aircraft in county parks except the one park leased out to a R/C club.  It is a personal safety and liability issue for the county.  
Rick White

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Rick Jones r.t.jones@... [SJMRRC] <SJMRRC@...> wrote:
 
Really? You can't fly an R/C aircraft in a county park? That's
amazing, as well as very disappointing.
I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for interesting trains to shoot.
So far Spring Junction is the only place I've decided to try, since it's
just several miles from the house.

--

Rick Jones

.