Topics

Freight Connections & Junction Points

Jim Kelly

I'm studying the Texas Central RR (1910) and the Official Railway Equipment Registry shows 11 Freight Connections & Junction Points. Only one of these is not a junction with another line so I'm assuming this would be a freight connection.  Can someone define the difference between a freight connection and a junction point? I'm thinking that a junction point most likely is also a freight connection but a solid definition would be most appreciated.

Jim K. 

DAVID CURREY

Jim,

That is a good question.  I'll try to define those terms, but I'm not 100% sure I'm correct, but this is how I think of them being.

A junction is:
  • where two railroads or rail lines (conceivably more) cross each other, and may or may not have connecting tracks for interchange.
  • where one railroad or rail line connects with another, and may or may not have connecting tracks for interchange.
A freight connection (interchange) is:
  • a track that has connections to at least two railroads or rail lines, and there may not technically be a junction.  For instance, there could be parallel railroads next to each other that have a connecting track not meant for trains to cross between the railroads, but for cars to be parked for interchange purposes.
A junction or freight connection doesn't have to be between two different railroads, but can be between two rail lines of the same railroad.  In some cases, operations at the junction or connection for a single railroad are treated just like they were separate railroads.

David N. Currey

From: SJMRRC@groups.io <SJMRRC@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Kelly <jwkelly49@...>
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2019 7:51 AM
To: SJMRRC@groups.io <SJMRRC@groups.io>
Subject: [SJMRRC] Freight Connections & Junction Points

I'm studying the Texas Central RR (1910) and the Official Railway Equipment Registry shows 11 Freight Connections & Junction Points. Only one of these is not a junction with another line so I'm assuming this would be a freight connection.  Can someone define the difference between a freight connection and a junction point? I'm thinking that a junction point most likely is also a freight connection but a solid definition would be most appreciated.

Jim K.