Yellow-breasted Chat and more at Ripon Oak Grove

Susan Schneider

Including the Chat, I found 7 species of warblers at Oak Grove Park this morning.  (I know, strictly speaking, the chat is no longer considered a warbler.  Too bad.)  The others:  Wilson's (at least 20!), Nashville, Yellow, MacGillivray's, Orange-crowned, and Common Yellowthroat.  I got to see all of them except the Chat and the Yellowthroat.  The Chat sang for about about two minutes, and I got a recording, but it did not show itself.   The Wilson's, on the other hand, were everywhere, easily visible.  For the first 90 minutes, I was seldom out of earshot of one; my estimate of 20 is probably an undercount.  At one point, four warbler species were in one tree. At another, I had 3 Wilson's in one binocular view.

Other notable birds:  an early Western Wood-Pewee, Ash-throated FC, W Kingbird, Bullock's Orioles (oh, that fluorescent male!), and many Black-headed Grosbeaks.

At the adjoining sewage pond, I found a few lingering shorebirds in the early morning.  On my way back, a lone small gull on the pond puzzled me.  I assumed it was Bonaparte's or perhaps Mew, but it didn't quite fit either:  completely white head, short black bill (lightish at the very base), dark eyes, blackish wingtips, plumage a mix of gray and tan.  Wish I'd brought my camera.

Susan M. Schneider
Climate activist and award-winning author of The Science of Consequences
http://www.scienceofconsequences.com

It's not too late.